PDA

View Full Version : Group channel info to a new mix session

drihanek
07-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure what I am missing. I am trying to save the channel settings for my 7 drum channels to a new session. I am going to do two separate bands but the same drumset and want to copy the seven channels I already have set up. The way I understand the manual is to have the 7 channels selected and set in a group. Then I store all channel info to one of the 8 clipboard places. Change to the new session, hot channel the first drum channel and load channel info and it should give me all seven channels. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
D

Bob L
07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
The memory cells only hold info for one chan at a time... so you would have to save each drum chan to a different cell... then change sessions and recall them from each cell one at a time.

Or... if you want to use the chan template file option which can do multipole chan templates at once... you would select all seven drum chans... then use the "Store All From Chan To File" option... this will create 7 chan templates and label them with the drum chan labels.

Now in your new session, if you label the drum chans the same, you can then select the 7 chans and use the "Recall All From File To Chan" option... it will look at each label on the selected chans and find the matching template and do all 7 drum chans at once.

Bob L

mycorn
07-09-2009, 08:48 PM
wouldnt it be simpler just to "save session as" [band #2]
and just redo the non drum channels?

i guess it would depend on how complicated the difference was...

my physical patch stays basically the same
[drum channels, bass , guitars, acoustics, etc.]
so gain, basic EQ and dynamics does too
[i use the same mics in the same holes]

and i subtract un used channels from my remote
for easier viewing

fwiw
mh

drihanek
07-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Thanks Bob, I'll try it. I think I was trying to do something like that, but after I've tried it a couple of different ways I forget exactly how I've tried it so I thought it best to seek help and start fresh today.

Mycorn, I thought of that, and ended up doing that, but I want to know what is possible to see what would be quicker, and there was enough difference between bands that the changes took some time (of course I'm not blazing a SAC management yet). This just got me thinking .... Bob would the drum group work if the two sessions were already made as long as the drum labels were the same? For example, if I set up the different band mix sessions before hand, then when I got the drums dialed in on the first session could I save it and load it to the "already made" next band session?

D

Bob L
07-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Yes... that is the idea... when you create these chan template files they can be applied to any session, regardless of chan layout, as long as the labels match.

Bob L

Larry Burger
07-10-2009, 08:29 AM
D:

At one point in time did you want to reset each group and record each in SAW.
Was one reason to keep each template small for small groups?
Would scenes be faster since bob has created such a powerful scene capability?

drihanek
07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks again Bob I think I'm seeing how you are working it here, and I'm gonna try it just for fun.

Larry, I wanted to do scenes, however the labeling wasn't going to match the patching I had to do between different bands. With it being my first time on a full blown festival I want the labels right so I choose to use different sessions.

UpTilDawn
07-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Advice about recalling channel strip files seems to imply that the label name must match the file being recalled... This is not always the case.

You can also call up (recall) specific individual channel strip files whether or not the name matches... Just choose the channel you want and open the file into it.

The name must match in cases where groups of channel strip files are being recalled at one time.

Just wanted to add that note to the discussion.

DanT