PDA

View Full Version : Playback delay

Voyteck
06-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone,

(sorry for my english)

I'm just exploring SawStudio Demo and I've found that sound doesn't start immediately when playback is lunched. Coursor in MT window starts to move but sound appears after aprox. 1sek. Than coursor slows down and waits for sound. When the sound reach position of the coursor they goes on with the sync.
I noticed it only when ASIO mode is on. In standard MultiMedia options everythig starts with sync from the beginig. My audio interface is Audiotrack MAYA 44USB.

Is it usual ASIO charcteristic or there is somethig wrong with my setup?

Regards
Voyteck

P.S.
By the way I have found SS as the best sound application among several I've tested. Great job! I am just looking for software for my home studio and I'm sure that the Sound Studio Basic is something I need!
V.

Bob L
06-04-2004, 10:08 AM
I have noticed this behavior with certain firewire audio interface drivers.... it is not common with most audio cards in ASIO or MME mode.

What seems to be happening is some sort of internal driver delay when the driver is first opened.

SAWStudio opens and closes the driver each time playback is initiated... I do not keep the drivers open and latched and the engine running in the background as many apps seem to do.

Most good audio drivers do not introduce any noticable delay when the drivers are open... some firewire cards do and now I guess your card is added to the list.

I do this for performance purposes and the ability to have SAWStudio open and idle, leaving the drivers available for a quick audio adjustment in other open audio apps that behave politely also.

Cards like the RME, M-Audio, Echo, and many more will not exhibit this behavior.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-04-2004, 10:20 AM
My Motu 896 is firewire and does not do this. Playback is instant. But I've noticed using my laptop's built in sound it does do this.

Btw bob, thanks for not leaving drivers open :) it's allowed me to use reference CD's again

Voyteck
06-05-2004, 02:35 AM
Thank You.

Maybe it is a good idea to add option in menu which will force SS not to relese driver. This will solve this problems for all USB and FireWire interfaces.
Or maybe I need to buy another card ;)

Regards
Voyteck

Bob L
06-05-2004, 05:56 AM
I am looking into that... but it involves lots of internal re-design since many pointers are also locked when the engine is active... which blocks many other things from being accessed and so forth...

For now... perhaps you may want to try a different card or use the MME model.

Bob L