PDA

View Full Version : Most complete controller implementation?

AudioAstronomer
07-22-2009, 08:14 AM
What would be considered the most complete implementation of an external controller with sawstudio currently?

Bob L
07-22-2009, 08:26 AM
I would still say the Mackie MCU.

Gives you control of all mixer parameters as well as many editing functions along with full transport and even F-Key control.

Bob L

MikeDee
07-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Bob, would it be necessary to go with the newer PRO model, or will the original version suffice?

I believe the PRO is USB, whereas the original is MIDI only (thus, requiring a MIDI interface). Are there any other important differences?

Thanks and regards,

Bill Park
07-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Since most everybody is designing their controllers to use the Mackie protocol, it would seem that, outside of Logic and PT, that would be the answer across the board. I recently sold mine, since I wasn't really using it... didn't need it for SAW, and I'm so used to mousing with SAW that I carried it over to what I use mainly now.

I still think that, outside of fader control, many of these tasks are easy to handle with a program like SAW that supports keyboard shortcuts using a piece of hardware like those from XKeys.

Bob L
07-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I have not tested the newer MCUs but I am guessing (hoping) the controls are all the same.

Bob L

MikeDee
07-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Bob. I'll consider it safe to look for a decent deal on an older unit, as I don't expect to need the extra bells & whistles in the PRO unit. :)

Best regards,

AudioAstronomer
07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
It seems to be possible to load the MCU template and use Bome's midi translator to make any controller work.

Along with the MCU app.

I'm trying ( failing ) to make a universal control surface template for SAW, but I've learned a lot of neat things (and got some other controllers working nicely)

Himhui
07-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I have not tested the newer MCUs but I am guessing (hoping) the controls are all the same.

Bob L

The new MCU almost the same as the old one but I found a bug of CTRL + left bank button of fader bank.....I will caputure and post it later today..

Himhui
07-23-2009, 05:08 AM
:) I need to press twice the left bank button of the fader banks, otherwise it will look like the picture below...

Bob L
07-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Not sure what you are trying to say here... with the tracks re-ordered like that, this may be correct.

Reset the track order to normal and try again.

Bob L

IraSeigel
07-23-2009, 07:47 AM
I still think that, outside of fader control, many of these tasks are easy to handle with a program like SAW that supports keyboard shortcuts using a piece of hardware like those from XKeys.

Bill, you always toss in a little gem! Never heard of XKeys, but the company seems to offer lots of goodies for laptop users that could easily be adapted to SAC (and SAW). Thanks. Do you have any user anecdotes (or warnings) for XKeys or any of their other products?

Ira

Himhui
07-23-2009, 07:22 PM
It is not the re-ordering matter, it happened in normal tracks ordering situation. For example, the present hot track is on output channel one and I want to go back to input channel one. What i do is to press the ctrl button of mcu first , then the fader banks button..... The first input track will show up under the video track but actually it isn't there......., i need to press the fader banks twice to recover...

Anyway, it's not a big deal, dunno if the save function while playing back can be inplemented ....