PDA

View Full Version : RME/MOTU wierdness

grecoaudio
07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok so I played with my firewire equipped laptop with the demo and now am starting to morph into a real desktop system. I got an RME 9652 and am trying to get it to work with my MOTU 828 mkII via the optical i/o. I have all the drivers installed for the RME and have verified levels from the MOTU with Digicheck going into the card. Problem is when I run the SAC demo I don't see anything. I configured the ins and outs and tried to set in options under audio driver model to the Asio config when I click on that it gives me three options:
1 Asio DIGI96 serie
2 Asio Digi9636/52
3 Asio MOTU Audio Asio

I have tried all three with no success. Anybody have any clues? And yes I am saving my config and reopening.

gdougherty
07-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Ok so I played with my firewire equipped laptop with the demo and now am starting to morph into a real desktop system. I got an RME 9652 and am trying to get it to work with my MOTU 828 mkII via the optical i/o. I have all the drivers installed for the RME and have verified levels from the MOTU with Digicheck going into the card. Problem is when I run the SAC demo I don't see anything. I configured the ins and outs and tried to set in options under audio driver model to the Asio config when I click on that it gives me three options:
1 Asio DIGI96 serie
2 Asio Digi9636/52
3 Asio MOTU Audio Asio

I have tried all three with no success. Anybody have any clues? And yes I am saving my config and reopening.

What do you mean by "I don't see anything." No input on the channels, or no hardware inputs in the audio setup?
If the 828 is running standalone, you may need to double check the configuration and that it's properly routing what you want down the ADAT. The 828 and 9652 need to be clocked from the same source. I'd go wordclock or ADAT using the 9652 as the master. The RME driver setup should show you sync settings for the various inputs. Make sure you have sync on the optical input where you connected the 828.

grecoaudio
07-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm not seeing level on the SAC meters, I believe the 9652 is locked to the MOTU because when I change the clock freq on the Motu I see the clock freq change in the 9652 screen. I routed the appropriate inputs the the appropriate buss on the Motu and when I run the diagnostic program on the 9652 I see meters on that. Its just when I try to enable SAC after configuring the inputs that I see no meters on the input and obviously no outputs. Am I supposed to configure the 9652 in the Asio mode within SAC??? Because when I do it automatically assigns the inputs and outputs and for some reason they are all odd numbers.

Wierd huh

gdougherty
07-23-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not seeing level on the SAC meters, I believe the 9652 is locked to the MOTU because when I change the clock freq on the Motu I see the clock freq change in the 9652 screen. I routed the appropriate inputs the the appropriate buss on the Motu and when I run the diagnostic program on the 9652 I see meters on that. Its just when I try to enable SAC after configuring the inputs that I see no meters on the input and obviously no outputs. Am I supposed to configure the 9652 in the Asio mode within SAC??? Because when I do it automatically assigns the inputs and outputs and for some reason they are all odd numbers.

Wierd huh

So it sounds like you have the MOTU connected to the computer via firewire. The motu should be set to route your 8 analog inputs to Optical A configured to transmit ADAT, not SPIDIF. The 9652 would be connected to the ADAT i/o on the 828. In to out and out to in, obviously. Double check your docs on the 9652. I know on the RayDAT my Optical 1 pair were physically switched with what I'd expect to be Optical 2. It doesn't sound like you're confused there though since you're seeing the clock change on the 9652 setup.
If you can check meters for the 828 outputs, make sure the Optical outputs are showing level on the meters. Check TotalMix for the 9652 as well and look for inputs there.
From there, select the ASIO driver for the 9652 in SAC. By default, SAC should auto assign all the ASIO devices from the 9652 to SAC devices and make them available to select as an input source on a channel. Go to the input section, select ADAT 1 as a mono device (check meuby's noob thread for some good screenshots on device assignments). Make sure the SAC engine is live and you should see level if you're seeing it in TotalMix and the MOTU outputs.

DominicPerry
07-24-2009, 03:59 AM
May I suggest doing one thing at a time?
Get the RME working first. Put the MOTU to one side.

If you have a Digi 9636/52 you need to choose Asio Digi9636/52 (the second option). I have no idea why SAW shows two possibilities, I have the same card and the same selections.

EDIT: THIS BIT IS WRONG! If you are running the SAC demo, you won't be able to save the preferences, so don't shut down SAC in between times. END OF EDIT.

There's no TotalMix with this card, so don't worry about that.
Check that the devices appear in the list under Options -> Audio Device Setup and check that you have enough buffers (try 4x128 to start with, you can reduce later). Right click on the LIVE light, lift the faders and it should work.

Dominic

Bob L
07-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Yes you can save prefs with the demo... you can save sessions and other things also.

Bob L

grecoaudio
07-24-2009, 06:54 AM
MOTU is connected to the RME card via ADAT optical cables. I downloaded the total mix dems and it comes up as fireface mix once you unzip it and I get the same results as with SAC. When I run digicheck I see levels so I am assuming that the adat signals coming from the MOTU are being seen by my RME 9652. when selecting an audio device I select ASIO and the inputs configure according to how the SAC manual states. when I select ASIO setup the RME pop up box comes up. But once I hit the little green button I don't see levels anywhere with the faders in the up or the down position. ???

DominicPerry
07-24-2009, 07:03 AM
I downloaded the total mix dems and it comes up as fireface mix once you unzip it and I get the same results as with SAC.

TotalMix doesn't run on the Digi9636/52. It's not relevant. Which card do you actually have? If it's an HDSP9652, then you are running the wrong drivers for it, because that's a different card to the Digi9636/52, and the ASIO options you have stated are from the Digi9636/52.
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you mean by Fireface mix - you don't have a Fireface, so I can't see what this means.

Connecting the MOTU with ADAT is fine, as long as you have one ADAT in and one ADAT out between them. Otherwise you may not get sync.

Dominic

grecoaudio
07-24-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm gonna have to open the computer and see which one it is.

hclague
07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
I know on the RayDAT my Optical 1 pair were physically switched with what I'd expect to be Optical 2.

I would check this carefully. I was experiencing the same thing you are and this was the culprit.

Hal

grecoaudio
07-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Its a Digi 9632/56 , I'm gonna try swapping optical pairs and see what happens

DominicPerry
07-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Its a Digi 9632/56 , I'm gonna try swapping optical pairs and see what happens

No such card as a Digi9632/56?

Dominic

mycorn
07-24-2009, 08:36 AM
you may need the old 2.11 digi driver

grecoaudio
07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
I believe I am already using the 211 driver, I am going to reload the driver and see if that helps, but for now its off to a show

Bob L
07-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I may be missing something here... but are you attempting to run the MOTU as its own soundcard and the RME at the same time?... if so... realize that only one ASIO driver can be active at any one time... so if you are activating the MOTU as an ASIO driver... you will not also be able to activate the RME ASIO driver at the same time.

Bob L

DaveS
07-24-2009, 09:12 AM
1 Asio DIGI96 serie
2 Asio Digi9636/52
3 Asio MOTU Audio Asio

By 'Ins and Outs' do you mean in the Audio options drop down menu or channels? Remember, once the Audio Options are set up you also have to assign each channel to an input. You can find this at the top of each channel. If you don't do this, you won't see any input....

MikeDee
07-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes you can save prefs with the demo... you can save sessions and other things also.

Bob L

F-key settings, too, Bob? I didn't think I could in past versions.

Bob L
07-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes... I decided that the new potential user needs to get a taste of the full experience with the demo and being able to save everything and instantly recall things next time is a major part of the experience.

Bob L

MikeDee
07-24-2009, 11:28 AM
F-key settings, too, Bob? I didn't think I could in past versions.

Yes... I decided that the new potential user needs to get a taste of the full experience with the demo and being able to save everything and instantly recall things next time is a major part of the experience.

Bob L

This is a really gøød thing, Bob...exactly what my band needs to see! You rock!!!

grecoaudio
07-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I feel like an $##%^%^&&
But thanks. I am now passing audio but its a bit crackly, I remember someone posted about this earlier. I will check that post to correct my new found problem. Thanks for all your help guys.

Wink0r
07-25-2009, 12:29 PM
To check for slipped buffers right click on the green 'live' light. There will be a pop-up listing any slipped buffers.

905shmick
07-25-2009, 12:34 PM
To check for slipped buffers right click on the green 'live' light. There will be a pop-up listing any slipped buffers.

That will disable the engine!

Lef click on the Load% number directly to the right of the live light to see slipped buffers.

Wink0r
07-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I may be dyslexic. Of course 905shmick is right!!

gdougherty
07-26-2009, 10:51 PM
I feel like an $##%^%^&&
But thanks. I am now passing audio but its a bit crackly, I remember someone posted about this earlier. I will check that post to correct my new found problem. Thanks for all your help guys.

Sample rate mismatches can cause crackling audio if it's a steady crackling.