PDA

View Full Version : HHHEELLPP can anyone help me set up my SAC remote

damongold
08-03-2009, 11:40 PM
so im trying to get my sac remote to function properly but i have had no luck. i can connect to the host machine and control all the functions but i cant open the session that is on the host. i get a message that says "trouble opening file the file may not exist or is lost" i can log onto and have full control my host using remote desktop so i believe the machine is configured correctly however my host cannot log onto my remote, i have been trying for 4 days now and short of throwing this thing out the window and going back to analog im at my whits end. if anyone knows whats going on please help.
if it is easier call me 530 363 2603 im on PST

thanks, Damon:mad:

gdougherty
08-03-2009, 11:51 PM
so im trying to get my sac remote to function properly but i have had no luck. i can connect to the host machine and control all the functions but i cant open the session that is on the host. i get a message that says "trouble opening file the file may not exist or is lost" i can log onto and have full control my host using remote desktop so i believe the machine is configured correctly however my host cannot log onto my remote, i have been trying for 4 days now and short of throwing this thing out the window and going back to analog im at my whits end. if anyone knows whats going on please help.

Read the manual, search the forums. It doesn't sound like you've done either. Remote desktop connection is not required to get the remote working and has never been mentioned anywhere I've seen except as a remote interface to control plugins. You need file system level access to already be established. You don't need a drive mapped, but you do need the correct credentials established. There have been plenty of others with the same problem. Search for your error text and IIRC, you'll find better directions than I can give you.

Wink0r
08-03-2009, 11:55 PM
This sounds like a sharing issue. You need to be able to copy files in both directions. You should be able to do this before you even start SAC or the remote. If you can't copy files in both directions the remote will not work.

damongold
08-04-2009, 12:01 AM
i've spent the last 4 day buried in the "manual" for sac and reading everything i can get my hands on for remote desktop and file sharing, i have my A+ and net+ certs so im not stupid. yes i have figured it is a permissions problem but i cant get it worked out. can someone tell me how to precisely configure my computers not just give vague cryptic "answers"

RBIngraham
08-04-2009, 12:02 AM

Damon,

Just to cut to the chase...

Share the entire C drive on your SAC host. Make sure when you turn on the sharing, that you allow everyone full control. Not just read ability or write ability, but full control.

Then go to your remote computer. Go to Network Neighborhood and make sure you can see the SAC host computer. Now go to the shared C drive on that host. Open up the SAC folder and make sure you can create a text file on the host's hard drive, edit it, and save it. If you can do that, the you should have full access to that machine. If you can not do that, then it's likely your SAC Remote connection will not work either.

One thing that can make it simpler is if you use the same user name and password on both computers. This is helpful and speed up the connection to the drive process. At least under Win XP. Don't know about Vista.

Once you've done that then I would just make sure you've read through all the manual about setting up the proper log on within SAC. But if you connected the remote to the host, then this should all be set to go. It's basically a file permission issue.

Lastly.. have your tried giving Bob a call on the phone? I bet if he's not in the middle of something he would actually answer his phone. He seems like that kind of guy. :)

Richard

RBIngraham
08-04-2009, 12:06 AM
i've spent the last 4 day buried in the "manual" for sac and reading everything i can get my hands on for remote desktop and file sharing, i have my A+ and net+ certs so im not stupid. yes i have figured it is a permissions problem but i cant get it worked out. can someone tell me how to precisely configure my computers not just give vague cryptic "answers"

Do you have any firewalls engaged? Maybe turn them all off and see if that works as well.

RBI

Bob L
08-04-2009, 12:15 AM
The help file has one section about the TCP/IP Host/Remote mode.

It gives the details for how you have to get ready for using the remote features.

Each OS and system is different, so there is no one set of instructions that can apply to every machine.

The basics are covered though.

Also... note that XP is easier... Vista can be very complex due to owner permissions and three or four levels deep of security and user rights and other issues.

If you do use password accounts on the machines, you will have to connect and sign on in Windows first before SAC can be used across the network.... even though SAC host can connect with the remote, Windows will block file access rights until the machine password accounts have been signed into.

No passwords and sharing all drives on the machines make things a lot easier.

Bob L

mloretitsch
08-04-2009, 05:17 AM
Let's assume the following:

-Your main SAC computer is named "Main" and has ip address 192.168.0.1. Your remote laptop is called "Remote" and has ip address 192.168.0.2.

-From "Main" share the c drive. Go to My Computer, right click on C:, and share this drive as "c" giving everyone FULL permission.

-From your remote you can click on start, run, and type in "\\192.168.0.1\c". This should open up the C: drive on your "main" computer. Now try to copy a file there or create a new one. If this succeeds you should be able to update the mix file.

Since you can connect on some level you are succesfully networked. If you still can't write a file it comes down to NTFS file permissions on the main system.

There are some other tricks of the trade. You can update your hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. (Note there is no file extension there). Update your remote PC to have a hostname to IP address mapping. Add this line to the file for example:

192.168.0.1 main # Main Sac Computer

Now you can simply connect to "main" instead of the ip address. Network neighborhood using NetBios is hit or miss with respect to computer names. Often times it doesn't work or takes 15 minutes to figure out who is in charge of keeping the "browse list". This is unacceptable to me in the timeframe I need to get working after my computer systems come up.

One of these days I'll create a video or something on it.
Good Luck!
-Matt

damongold
08-04-2009, 06:16 AM
thanks bob and thanks mloretitsch, that is an answer i can follow. and yes all my firewalls and virus software has been turned off i will disable my passwords next and then share my c drives. its 6 am now i will post back with my finding at noon. one more thing mloretitsch, can you tell me how my file path should look on each comptuer? i have tried changing them to so many different configurations with no luck either. right now my file path on the host is set to the hosts shared folder (//sac/all users/documents/sac/mix) and my remote machine is set to the same folder on the host machine as well. once again i have gone through the manual and read all the form posts and i have found no definitive info on how each machinie should be configured.

thanks D.:confused:
ps. each machine is on XP Pro SP3 if it helps the remote machine is a toshiba M4 tablet P4 2.0 running XP Pro 2005 tablet edtion and the host is a standard laptop dual Core 2.3 Dell D810

Trackzilla
08-04-2009, 06:39 AM
the SAC installer will normally install to C:\SAC...I have seen some programs using remote access in the past have a modicum of difficulty with file paths that contain spaces. I don't know this to be a problem with Bob's products, but you might try letting the installer set things to the root of C like it want's to natively & share to/from there instead of the 'all users' path you chose currently.

Just a thought.

mloretitsch
08-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Indeed I and another member ran into a similar problem sharing sub folders.

I recommend you install SAC to c:\SAC on the main machine and then share the root C drive. Head over to my computer and right click on C: then share it with a simple name or just "c".

You do not need to map drives between the remote and main computer. All you need to do is activate tcp/ip mode on the main, then on the remote with your main IP address and all should work as expected.

My remote shows a path such as "\\main\c\SAC\mix\mixfile". When sharing the subfolder I was hitting a problem with a double backslash in the path on the remote computer. Something like "\\main\\sac\mix\mixfile" and thus why I recommend sharing the root C drive from your main system.

I hope that helps!
-Matt

905shmick
08-04-2009, 07:34 AM
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this functionality really needs to be rolled into SAC. Relying upon windows authentication to read and write remote SAC files is a bad idea on so many levels.

There, I'm done, I'm not going to make mention of it again.

DominicPerry
08-04-2009, 08:12 AM
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this functionality really needs to be rolled into SAC. Relying upon windows authentication to read and write remote SAC files is a bad idea on so many levels.

There, I'm done, I'm not going to make mention of it again.

I didn't notice you mention it before. Maybe I haven't been reading carefully enough. :D

There are two choices. Use Windows auth or use a proprietary internal communication. There are downsides to both.
If you are setting up a SAC rig, then there really is no problem. Share the whole drive, make sure the network is private, so no-one can log on who shouldn't.
I agree that for testing, it's a PITA but that's too bad really. It's like this stuff "I can't get my notebook PC with Photoshop, Skype, Norton blah blah to work with SAC". Of course you can't. This software needs a dedicated machine. It's right on the edge of what a PC can do. I really wonder about how professional people want to be when they are just fiddling with stuff on a laptop which they use for the internet etc.
I really am turning into a miserable old sod.:mad:

Dominic

905shmick
08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
I agree that the SAC host needs to be 100% dedicated to it's purpose, but the remotes don't need to be as they are simply remote displays that pass their data along via a TCP connection and don't do any audio processing.

I really don't see why the SAC host software can't do a simple local file read/write operation for loading and saving data from the SAC remote software. This would remove the burden of having to even have windows sharing enabled in the first place and could be one more set of services that could be disabled on the SAC host to further harden it's configuration.

damongold
08-04-2009, 08:59 AM
thanks trackzilla,
new update, thanks matt for the help it was awesome it has helped me narrow down the problem to my tablet. between 6am and now i have been able to connect my dell c610 as a remote with full functionality to my master dell d820. however i heed to get my tablet working as it is how i will be mixing FOH wirelessly. the problem is i bought the tablet used and there might be an old network setting or user account or something from the previous owner on it preventing me from connecting to the workgrop MSHOME. i can log onto my sac master from the tablet and other computers by going START MENU > RUN > \\10.0.0.2\SAC C\C however i cannot acces my tablet from any other computer using what should be the address \\10.0.0.3\sacremote\c so it is not a sac issue now it is a networking issue with my tablet. Can anyone who has any idea adout how to configure my tablet (and it seems to be configured exactly like all my other computers i must be missing something) please CALL ME as all my computers in the studio are now off the net until i figure this out if you respond here i wont be able to log on until noon PST
thanks Damon 530 363 2603 :confused:

gdougherty
08-04-2009, 09:17 AM
thanks bob and thanks mloretitsch, that is an answer i can follow. and yes all my firewalls and virus software has been turned off i will disable my passwords next and then share my c drives. its 6 am now i will post back with my finding at noon. one more thing mloretitsch, can you tell me how my file path should look on each comptuer? i have tried changing them to so many different configurations with no luck either. right now my file path on the host is set to the hosts shared folder (//sac/all users/documents/sac/mix) and my remote machine is set to the same folder on the host machine as well. once again i have gone through the manual and read all the form posts and i have found no definitive info on how each machinie should be configured.

thanks D.:confused:
ps. each machine is on XP Pro SP3 if it helps the remote machine is a toshiba M4 tablet P4 2.0 running XP Pro 2005 tablet edtion and the host is a standard laptop dual Core 2.3 Dell D810

Ahah! It sounds like you're doing like I did initially and you're overconfiguring the remote. Wipe the remote install folder and resinstall it (quick and easy and it'll reset the file paths). I found that the default file location paths on the SACRemote were what I wanted, not the host system paths and "correcting things for my install" actually broke them.

I also created a batch file for myself that recreates a network drive each time I start SAC. It contains the following..

net use s: /DELETE
net use s: \\sachost\system (file://\\sachost\system) password /USER:sachost\user
c:\SACRemote\SACRemote.exe

damongold
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
ill try wiping and reinstalling the remote. however it now seems NOT to be a sac problem as i still can't connect to the tablet from any other computer but i can connect to all my other computers FROM my tablet
oh yeah i will leave one computer on this page so i can get messages but if possible please call 530 363 2603
thanks.

mloretitsch
08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
ill try wiping and reinstalling the remote. however it now seems NOT to be a sac problem as i still can't connect to the tablet from any other computer but i can connect to all my other computers FROM my tablet
oh yeah i will leave one computer on this page so i can get messages but if possible please call 530 363 2603
thanks.

The only folder you need to share is the c drive on your host machine. The remotes do not need any sort of network share. Your tablet PC is just for a remote correct?

I'd call you, but I am on another job and can't talk presently.

If you can connect to the master and update the mix file successfully you should be ready to mix! :D

-Matt

gdougherty
08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
thanks.

Can you verify the following:
Windows Firewall is set to off on the host computer
Any security products are completely disabled or at least the firewall component is disabled.
Can you ping bidirectionally by ip and/or name?
If you're using an account with blank passwords and it's an admin account make sure you've got the registry setting to enable use of blank admin passwords on the network.
Reboot the computer and use something like my net use mapping command above with appropriate machine/user and password as your first connection attempt to the host.

There are more possibilities, but give those a shot in that order first.

damongold
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
FIXED IT!!
thanks wally for spending the time with me on the phone!! so here it is. windows firewall kept turning itself back on (can i delete this thing?) and i had to reset the shared computer simple name (why i dont know) but so far so good. its up and running and doing everything thing it should. thanks everyone for your support, i'm going to take a nap!! :)