PDA

View Full Version : Sucsess - 2 DIGI9636 in same system

Wam3
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I while back I had asked if anyone was using 2 DIGI9636's in one system and how to sync them. I didnt get a definitive answer, guess no one uses those old cards, so I kinda gave up as I only had the need for 16 inputs.

Now I have the need for more inputs. I have an HDSP9652 - but the mounting plate for the expansion card is missing (finnaly got synthax the order me one from germany) so I cant use that right away. So I started to think about the 2 DIGI option.

It is really easy ..... Here is what I did to make it work.

Super easy ....
You connect the sync of the 1st card to the CD in of the second card.

In my rack the first ADAT (ADA8000) as master, the second as slave.

Card 1
Clock mode - AutoSync
Pref. Sync Ref - ADAT1 in

Card 2
SPDIF in - Internal (this is comming from the sync out of the first card)
Clock Mode - AutoSync
Pref. SyncRef - SPDIF in

No crackles, just pure clean sound. Everything is in sync.

I am not sure if there is a big advantage in using the HDSP card, over the digi in SAC, maybe there is using SAW - I dont know, but it would seem like the DIGI cards are pretty inexpensive and work great in SAC.

I have not tried to load it up with the 2 additional ADA8000 and load up all the channels in SAC, so we will see what happens then.

W

905shmick
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Why not make the first RME card the master WC?

In the RME prefs util, on the "Card 1" tab choose Clock Mode : Master

on the "Card 2" tab choose Clock Mode : Autosync and under Perf. Sync Ref choose SPDIF in.

Now you can set your ADA8000 units to slave mode and in the event that one of them dies, you won't lose WC.

Bob L
08-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I would suggest that you still keep the Behringers using ADAT sync... the first digi card is master... the second autosync with your cable connection... or many used a physical cable from the spdif out of card 1 to spdif in of card 2.

But... the ADA8000 units should still follow the ADAT pipes... If you set the second one to slave... what is it slaving to? It then is looking for a WC input.

Bob L

Wam3
08-06-2009, 11:34 PM
905shmick, That is exactly whay I have done, except my first cards is set to auto sync. I will change it to master, and see what happens. I have changed stuff around so many times messing with this, I forgot what my original configuration with one card was ... :confused: I kind of remembering both my ADA8000 being set as slaves? .....

From what I understood about autosync is that it took the sync it found on the first card, and spreads it to all inputs ....... so that it seems to me is happining is ....

My first ADA8000 is set to Master and is sending the sync to the first card. My internal connection from the sync out, to the CD in on the second card is gettting that sync signal to the second card, and I am using that sync by setting that card to Clock Mode : Autosync and under Perf. Sync Ref choose SPDIF in.

I will have another ADA8000 to add tothe second card in a few days. I will plug that in set as slave - and it should sync to the sync provided by the first card to the second vie the SPDIF connection between the cards.

From what I understand there can only be one master, all the rest have to be slaves..... so all the ADA's are getting ther sync from the first ADA?

Am I missing somthing? Or do I have it right?

Thanks! - it is working right now, but adding the next ADA8000 will be the test I guess.

W

Bob L
08-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Once again... simplify....

The first RME card is set to master... all ADA8000 units connected to that card are set to ADAT Optical Sync.

The second RME card is set to Autosync and the clock reference is set to wherever the clock connection is coming from the first card... that can be internal on some of the cards... it can be extern thru spdif out to in... it can be from WC out to in.

Once again... all ADA8000 units connected to that card are set to ADAT Optical Sync.

This is not the only method, but probably the simplest and it works perfect.

Bob L

Wam3
08-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks Bob ...... I had changed things so many times in the process of getting this to work.... I now remember that that was my original configuration ... Both ADA8000's set to ADAT Sync (slave) and the RME card set to master...

This make perfect sense now that I understand how the whole autosync thing works.

In the end it is so simple. Hopefully this thread will help the next guy that wants to do it ..

W