PDA

View Full Version : New parameter slider control enhancement?

Dave Labrecque
12-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi Bob,

I think the new mouse parameter control action is great. Much easier to relate to tactilely than the old way.

I find sometimes that it's tough to zero in on an exact value. I think it'd be helpful if a something like a SHIFT or CTRL modifier increased the resolution of the drag on these controls.

What do you think? Anybody else?

AudioAstronomer
12-04-2004, 03:56 PM
You can still click the arrows on the control to make fine adjustments

Bob L
12-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Dave,

Robert sees it the way I do... the slider is to get close to where you want to be... then single clicking the arrows gets you exact.

The slider design adjusts to give a 1 pixel per parameter range. If your mouse sensitivity is set correctly in Windows, you should have no trouble reaching every possible value for each of the different controls. Otherwise, the single click idea to step up or down by one value can't be beat, in my opinion.

Bob L

RobertV
12-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Guys;

I've said it before, the kensington mouse driver allows you to assign either the alt / shift or ctrl key to slow the cursor down allowing you to go quickly approx. where you want to be and then fine adjust by just pressing the assigned key.

Works like a bought one even if you don't use a Kensington Mouse! (or is that naughthy?)

Cheers.....Robert V. :D

Bob L
12-05-2004, 01:38 AM
My concern there would be interference from the use of the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys in SAWStudio. They are heavily integrated into both key commands and especially mouse commands. Any outside interference of these modifier keys can seriously degrade your interface options.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
12-05-2004, 01:00 PM
I just think it'd be a little quicker this way, that's all. Another way to streamline working in SAW. I use this kind of thing all the time in Sound Forge, SF plug-ins and the UAD stuff. It's a nice enhancement.

Dave Labrecque
12-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Robert,

Are you saying to use the Kensington driver with, say, a MS mouse?

What's your experience with the modifier key getting in the way of SAW's key combo fuctionality, like Bob says?

RobertV
12-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Dave;

I've had no problems either way, I normally use a Kensington Trackball with SS but also used A4 and IBM mice with the kensington driver without any problems.
Insofar as this getting in the way of the other key combinations, I have not ever felt this to be the case, where it could be a problem is with the click and drag options, but I don't use them, I tend to create regions and drop them to a location!
The [Alt] key seems a logical choice, as a quick scan of the manual tells me the [ALT]+Drag combination is not used (could be wrong though, i did a quick search and could not find any mention of that combination, some-one will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure!)

Anyways it does not take long to actually try it out!

Cheers..Robert V

Dave Labrecque
12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Robert,

Unfortunately, I use alt+drag all the time to extend/shrink region entry boundaries in the MT. Also to extend/shrink automation entries in a marked area (automation mode). :(

Would you be able to try those things out, just to see what happens?

Maybe shift+drag or ctrl+drag or even multiple simultaneous modifiers would be the way to make it all work?

RobertV
12-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Robert,

Unfortunately, I use alt+drag all the time to extend/shrink region entry boundaries in the MT. Also to extend/shrink automation entries in a marked area (automation mode). :(

Would you be able to try those things out, just to see what happens?

Maybe shift+drag or ctrl+drag or even multiple simultaneous modifiers would be the way to make it all work?

Dave:
It works like a beauty, With the Alt key assigned to slow down the mouse cursor.
To extend/shrink region entry boundaries in the MT; Press the [aLt] key, click the left button and let go of the [alt] key, Bob must have foreseen this, because untill you let go of the left mouse button, you can alter the boundary. Anytime you want to be more precise, press [alt] again!

You will be imnpressed!
Cheers.......Robert V.

Dave Labrecque
12-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.