PDA

View Full Version : crosspanning

Trackzilla
08-10-2009, 01:52 AM
Anyone have good suggestions for a way to smoothly crosspan or crossfade two or more channels on the fly?

In question are both L/R panning and volume panning of multiple channels against each other, both are pretty basic common tasks in the analog world that I can't see a smooth way to accomplish without pre-planning for it with scene automation and fade time...which would require advance creation of specific scenes for the channels in question, and leave it imposssible to vary the rate of change dynamically.

One simple sounding solution (that would doubtless be a code nightmare ;) ) is a keystroke modifier like ctrl or alt or such used along with selecting multiple channels. Usage might be similar to: select channels, hold the 'modifier key' and select one (or possibly more) additional channel(s), then commands made are common to one group and inverted to the other...preferably maintaining their offset ratios relative to each other as they converge or diverge.

A common scenario in my world for this would be the unknown band on your stage in a festival that unexpectedly drops into some space jam piece where you find yourself wishing you could make the lead vs rhythm bed swim creatively in the stereo field a bit. Other obvious applications include DJ style crossfades and chorus pan-field inversion.

There may be nifty ways to accomplish this already existent that I haven't unearthed yet, or maybe I just need to practice more with scene creation, but ideas & suggestions are welcome.

Early in September there is the rebirth of a local multiday hippie festival that used to have quite a reputation in these parts for audio quality & talent, but hasn't occurred in 10 years or so...I want to be prepped with a stunning array of auditory theatrics to keep the hippies happy as I'm likely to encounter literally anything as a performance there...past surprise performers have included The Itals, Dark Star Orchestra, Bill Miller, and Roadmaster ;)

Bob L
08-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I've thought about something like that, but have not settled on a solution yet.

I am working on a manual slider to crossfade manually between scenes, which should do the job as long as the scenes are preset.

In the meantime... a fader controller might be the ticket.

Bob L

Trackzilla
08-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I haven't messed with a fader controller yet, but on a quick glance yeah, I suppose a BCF might be the simplest ticket & will quickly do most of what I'm asking, it just pains me to want to use anything external...and I know that speaks right to your heart Bob :)

In playing with the group latch master outs, I see what might be a simpler control point for the desired behavior. When in group latch mode the pan seems to currently do nothing, although it pans the group subtractively when assigned to a master out and used as a subgroup. What about making group pans act as a progressive sum to panned mono? Or even an option to have it act that way or as a subtractive group pan...Sounds so simple when what would be required to write the relevant code isn't mentioned but does this approach seem useful?

Bob L
08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Give me a call and we can discuss the idea and ways to possibly implement it.

Bob L

Trackzilla
08-12-2009, 11:18 PM
just borrowed a friend's BCF2000. My first time playing with anything MIDI since I dabbled with an external sound source for my Casio PG-380 many brain cells ago.
It only took me an hour or so to fumble through it with no instructions to figure out how to update the firmware, load the sysex, configure it to work & save...and yes, it will allow most all the fun multichannel hippie spinning I will need for that upcoming festival.

Personally I am amazed at just how huge that controller seems since my FOH has been Lappy for so many months...yuk ;)