PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vocal Mics and Swine Flu

IraSeigel
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
With all the excitement around SAC 2.1 right now, this might get overlooked, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

I asked our local health authority - the Seattle & King County (Washington) Public Health Department - for their recommendation on disinfecting vocal mics prior to use.

They have not done any definitive testing on H1N1 on the windscreens of vocal mics, but for a general sanitizing and disinfecting, they recommend a very diluted bleach solution - 1 gallon of water and 1 tablespoon of bleach - and you can wipe it on the windscreens with a cloth or apply it with a toothbrush.

The official I communicated with didn't have any recommendation for alcohol wipes or using hydrogen pyroxide or a Listerine-type liquid, but that doesn't mean it won't work; it just means they haven't tested it.

If anyone has heard different recommendations, please contribute here.

With tours and shows coming up in the fall, touring engineers and house engineers need to keep this subject in mind, as it will help GREATLY in keeping musicians (and our paychecks!) healthy.

I will be adding a small bottle of Clorox, or a box of alcohol wipes, to my riders for upcoming fall shows.

Cheers,
Ira

gdougherty
08-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I do sanitizing wipes, wet the screen down and let it dry. Periodically I've seen suggestions to remove and soak in listerine to kill anything germinating in the foam. Probably good for any foam windscreen covers as well.

Trackzilla
08-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Keep in mind that alcohol & some other chemicals will slowly degrade the foam, so periodic replacement of the internal windscreen foam is on your routine maintenance list.

Mics that shed granules of crumbled foam are still considered disgusting at best, even if they are sterile ;)

Brent Evans
08-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Keep in mind that alcohol & some other chemicals will slowly degrade the foam, so periodic replacement of the internal windscreen foam is on your routine maintenance list.

Mics that shed granules of crumbled foam are still considered disgusting at best, even if they are sterile ;)

And here I was thinking that phenomenon was caused by the vocalist's breath... :D