PDA

View Full Version : what the hick i'm I doing

ffarrell
12-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Just wanted to give you all a little update as to our Christmas tour.

The drummer controls our timeline with MIDI input, triggering cue's.

This year Kenny wanted VIDEO in a big way. So this is how I did it.

I'm running 3 Computers all with 3.9b now, thanks to Bob. All computer have Matrox 450's to overlay Video from the timeline to any of the 5 Projector with dead on sync to the audio.

I needed backup in a big way so I felt that splitting the MIDI and having it drive all 3 boxes gave me a fool proof way to lose a computer and still keep the show going.

We are also using the midi out to drive a Lighting desk to give me DMX letting me open and close a scoller to shutter the big projector.

I'm using the RS232 ports on each computer to remotely turn on and off each projector from the timeline.

I also built a MIDI to contract closer to lower and raise the video screen from the timeline.

It all works nicely

thanks

fvf

mghtx
12-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Hey!

That's great!

Saw really gets the job done, huh?

Have fun.

razor
12-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Great work frank

:)

ffarrell
12-05-2004, 03:00 PM
sorry for the way my post reads. 6 days of shows 7AM to 1AM

thanks
fvf

Naturally Digital
12-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Great show Frank! It's inspiring to know you're out there pushing the limits on this stuff and relying on SAWStudio for such mission-critical work!

The midi triggered cueing sounds *very* interesting.

Thanks for the update. :)
Dave.

Pedro Itriago
12-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Don't worry, I figured you had a headache and could not resist writting so "loud" anymore :p

thanks
fvf

Dave Tosti-Lane
12-05-2004, 08:49 PM
[color=black]I also built a MIDI to contract closer

Cool Frank, I think I'd like to have one of those MIDI to Contract closers for dealing with various union houses around here! :)

Seriously, that sounds great. Are you playing in Seattle on this tour? I've got a few students I'd love to get in to see the setup. (And a Pacific Northwest AES chapter that would potentially be interested too if schedule allowed)

Dave Tosti-Lane

Perry
12-06-2004, 12:03 AM

thanks
fvf

Hi Frank! :) Wow... sounds like you guys have been BUSY!!!

Hey man.. you should check... 7AM to 1AM? ... sounds like your clock is running backwards! ;) (just kidding!)

Great going on the set up for the show Frank.. well done as always! :)

So when you coming this way again?

All the best,

Perry

ffarrell
12-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Are you playing in Seattle on this tour? I've got a few students I'd love to get in to see the setup. (And a Pacific Northwest AES chapter that would potentially be interested too if schedule allowed)

Dave Tosti-Lane
This year we are staying in the east coast, Sorry. But we will have January off so I'll try to draw up a diagram of the trigger box.

I also built the Triggger to MIDI box a few years ago and it is on my Web Site.

www.frankfarrell.com/triggerbox.htm (http://www.frankfarrell.com/triggerbox.htm)

thanks
fvf

So when you coming this way again?

Perry
Thanks Perry

I have not seen any dates as of yet but I hope soon. We'll go get some curry again

Take care

fvf

Carey Langille
12-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey Frank, are you gonna make it into Canadas east coast by any chance??..
Maine, is the closest US location to me..... ;)