PDA

View Full Version : Personal Monitor multi mixer question

Larry Burger
08-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Bob we had this conversation and you answered my questions.
I know you are the most responsive design engineer in the industry.
So I thought I would type my situation down and see if others have the same need.

I have a group (sound stage) with 7 players, each with a floor monitor and stereo in ear buds.
The groups will have guests who sit in and just use the floor monitor.
I wish to setup a remote personal computer (drums, bass, etc.) at each station.
I want the performer to have control over two personal monitor mixes on one machine.
Bob showed me how I could send the main (floor or ear) monitor with faders and send an aux buss out from the same mix.
I know we had to do this a few short months ago.
But you have changed the way we are thinking and I don't care for the thought of using aux mixes now.

Also we could setup two computers at each station.

Bob L
08-15-2009, 04:05 PM
To explain my idea again for others.

No aux bus needed... simply assign each input chan on the monitor mixer to master out 1 and 2, each assigned to a different device... master out 1 going to the in-ears... the left side of master out 2 feeding the floor wedge.

Use a graphic eq in each master chan, if needed, to adjust the audio for the in-ear buds and floor wedge differently.

One PER-MON mix is then all that is needed on the remote for that station, because the floor wedge and in-ear mix is the same mix... with separate eq and master level control feeding each.

If you do feel the need for two separate mixes on the same mixer, then you can use an aux send... route the aux return to Master Out 2 and now you do have separate mixes on the same mixer... again... one remote will have complete control of both mixes if needed.

Bob L

gdougherty
08-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I'd think you'd want to go the aux route if it's ears vs wedges. I put just a few items through wedges. IEM's get most everything plus reverb and an ambient mic and at different volume levels. With a wedge, standing near the guitar amp I need a lot less guitar amp in the wedge than I do ears, as an example. The other thing I'd consider is individual control of ears to the performers and have a dedicated monitor engineer for all the wedges. I work with a lot of musicians that don't care for Aviom style setups though because they have enough to do just performing or leading in a HOW. Small adjustments after the fact are one thing, dumping the whole monitor setup on an artist is quite another. Of course, SAC makes that easy enough for an IEM setup since you can duplicate a basic flat mix to everyone's monitor and let them tweak from there. Oh how I love SAC.

Naturally Digital
08-15-2009, 10:05 PM
What about splitting the console and doubling up on input assignments? One entire set of inputs go to master out 1 and the other set go to master out 2.

Granted, it could get confusing... and personally I would probably just use Aux 1 and feed that to the floor wedge, but I think the capability is there.