PDA

View Full Version : Triggering Drum Samples

hclague
08-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi All

Could someone describe the setup process and required software/hardware etc.. for triggering drum samples (instead of Acoustic) from the mic in SAC.

Thanks

Hal

Wam3
08-17-2009, 08:58 PM
This was just discussed in this thread .... http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658

hclague
08-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Wam3

So all I have to do is Insert the drum sample VST in Pre or Pst FX of the channel and that is what will play instead of the Acoustic drum? That sounds too simplistic. What am I missing?

Hal

gdougherty
08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Wam3

So all I have to do is Insert the drum sample VST in Pre or Pst FX of the channel and that is what will play instead of the Acoustic drum? That sounds too simplistic. What am I missing?

Hal

Adjusting the sensitivity of the plugin so it triggers on the proper hits is required as well. The defaults may or may not trigger properly.

Wam3
08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Like one of the other guys said, once you get the drum tuned so it will trigger well with the mic - it doesn't sound like a drum any more...

I think it might work better using a trigger, but I have not tried that yet. I have an old Alesis D4 from my Simmons set days and will probably try using that with some triggers on the drums.

I tried the drumagog demo, and couldn't get it dialed in so it would work consistently, I just didn't have the time. Jesse in mexico has it dialed, but he has not posted lately...

Report back if you get it dialed in, I'm sure others would be interested.

W

gdougherty
08-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Here's a few ideas.
With LC/HC filters on the channel, cut the close mic'd drum down to just the fundamental atack frequencies of that drum.
With mics, use positioning to isolate as much as possible.
Gate it if you want to help reduce accidental triggering, just be careful you don't kill your ability to get softer hits.

Best results will come from not being too ambitious. Know your style. You can do volume sensitive samples in drumagog with soft stuff triggering brushes or cross-sticking, but in that situation I think you're stuck with acoustic drums. For me, I'd only use it for kick and toms. Nice thing is it would allow for the use of any cheap drum mics as long as the mic can "hear" the attack which isn't going to be that hard.

Iain Westland
08-18-2009, 03:27 PM
latency? drumagog play nice with SAC?

gdougherty
08-18-2009, 07:20 PM
latency? drumagog play nice with SAC?

Has a live mode. Supposedly not as accurate as the latency inducing mode, but about as good as vDrums in my playing with a kick replacement. That's really where I'd use it, to make a poorly tuned kick into a super studio kick.

hclague
08-18-2009, 09:07 PM
That's really where I'd use it, to make a poorly tuned kick into a super studio kick.

This was my intention as well.

Hal

gdougherty
08-18-2009, 09:36 PM
This was my intention as well.

Hal

Should be easy enough to trigger reliably then. I find a kick with mic partway into the hole the simplest of drums to gate reliably. Cut the frequency range down to just the thump range and you'll have almost nothing but kick to trigger the sample.
And again, I love SAC. If I were doing a rotating festival and the new kick for a set sounded like mud, I could have an alternate preset channel with Drumagog ready to go. Enable/Disable the correct channels and on with the set.