PDA

View Full Version : New User.....Plugins for Reverb, Delay....etc

lixisoft
08-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Hi All,

Newbie here, I DL'ed the demo version of SAC to get a grasp of it. I was wondering what plugins to use for LOW CPU and LOW LATENCY for Reverbs and Delays on the Aux sends, and a Master EQ and Compresser on the MAIN OUT FOH send.

Can I replace my hardware crossover with a SAC Crossover plugin to give me a 3 way feed to the FOH amps......... Split into 3 line outs with variable crossover points to feed the Lo/Mid/Hi amps ?

I could replace a 12 space rack of hardware if I can do this inside SAC with plugins. If I can figure this out with the demo I will build 24 channel SAC system ASAP.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on Plugins, I am looking forward to being a fulltime SAC user.

IraSeigel
08-19-2009, 07:10 AM
There are many choices for delays and reverbs that work with SAC, which you can find via a search in the forum.

But you should start with the delay and reverb that the SAC developer has. They are very high quality and operated seamlessly in SAC. So does his Levelizer, which can serve as a master compressor. These can be found on the download page on the RML website.

Also, at this time there is not a crossover plugin, so keep using your one hardware piece and chuck the rest!

Ira

sjpaul
08-19-2009, 07:33 AM
You could try something like Rubberfilter for your crossover needs. I've used it on a separate output for bass bins when using full range boxes above them.
The SAW native tap delay is really good. I'm using Waves Trueverb as my reverb and it doesn't seem to add much CPU load.

For your outputs, you can use the native SAW / SAC paragraphic EQ in either single patches or multiple instances if needed, or something like Anwida 31 band graphic EQ plug in which may give you the familiar interface you're looking for.....

I'm sure others will have more offerings.....

UpTilDawn
08-19-2009, 07:42 AM
SAC comes loaded with a delay and EQ plug that are very well designed. Make sure you check them out.

The one big thing to be aware of is that SAC will not work with any plug-in that causes latency. This bit of info will allow you to easily begin narrowing your choices of plugs for SAC.

There are many, many posts in this forum where folks describe their choices and uses of whatever plugs are being commonly picked, so make sure you read up on those prefereneces. Discussions about issues such as crossover apps and routing configurations are also quite extensive here. SAC offers so many choices that a person might not ordinarily think of...

I'm not running live sound with SAC, using it it more as a mixer front end while recording, or I'd have more specific things to add to this discussion.

DanT

And there ya go! :) Steven beat me to the punch with much more relevant info.

Glad to see you found SAC.

ssrsound
08-19-2009, 08:02 AM
I started trying to do my crossover in SAC. It's quite easy by setting up three master outs, and putting low-pass and high-pass filters on each to make them do what you want. You can even send to a virtual master out (the ones after 9), and have tha't feed the real ones... so you can have your graph, compression and such in one place, and use that as a master fader. (This won't work with the demo, because the demo won't let you put plugins on that many outs).

Then I realized that's probably wasted complexity and wasted CPU power that could be used for something else. My 1U crossover sits in my amp rack, and does its job just fine. If it was at my FOH position I might still be tempted because I love that SAC will get rid of my FOH clutter. But I consider it part of the speaker system (since it's tuned for it anyway), and it works ok where it is.

I"m probably still going to do a separate send for subs, though. I like the idea of only sending certain instruments to the subs.

Brent Evans
08-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Also, at this time there is not a crossover plugin, so keep using your one hardware piece and chuck the rest!

A couple of us are using RubberFilter (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183141) to do crossovers, and it works quite well. It provides high, low, and bandpass filters on stereo channels with very steep slopes available (I'm running 48db). There are several ways of routing it, but the plug itself is fairy low overhead (only about 1***37; per instance on my machine) and works well enough.

gdougherty
08-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Like Brent, I'm using Rubberfilter. It's not ideal since it's a Butterworth filter and to do Linkwitz-Riley (which you want for flat summing at the crossover point without having to calculate offset frequencies) it takes a pair of them with identical settings and a halving of the slope. 2x N/oct Butterworth = 2N/oct Linkwitz-Riley. So to do the 48db/octave LR filters I had in my DCX2496, I'm using a pair of 24db RubberFilter plugins at the same frequency. My EQ's are parametric and since I use 9-10 bands to smooth out my tops, I'm using a VST plugin called Electri-Q (free version). It gives a nice graphical representation of individual and final curves with a ton of point types to choose from. I patch two of those across the master outs for EQ then feedback notching. For monitors I ditched my DEQ2496 and just run a pair of Electri-Q plugins. That alone saved me a few hundred for my new monitor amp.
I'm pretty intensive in my plugin use and channel processing but with all that running on a 24 channel setup I'm only pushing 50-60% CPU load.