PDA

View Full Version : anyonee have issues with this mobo?

quaizywabbit
08-21-2009, 06:08 PM
looking to start building a rackmount suitable for SAC.

the guy at my local puter store recommended an Intel DG41TY.

I know ASUS is the popular brand here, but supposedly(according to him) this has a better chipset....

will it work or should I go with something else.

I already have an E8400 core2duo and 4gigs ddr2-800 to drop in it...

gdougherty
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
looking to start building a rackmount suitable for SAC.

the guy at my local puter store recommended an Intel DG41TY.

I know ASUS is the popular brand here, but supposedly(according to him) this has a better chipset....

will it work or should I go with something else.

I already have an E8400 core2duo and 4gigs ddr2-800 to drop in it...

Umm... Unless the Asus board is based on an ATI or NVIDIA chipset, it'll be using an Intel chipset just like the Intel boards. More likely, your local computer store only stocks a handful of motherboards without the selection you'd find at Newegg and the Intel board he's recommending is possibly the best of what he's got.

Brent Evans
08-21-2009, 09:46 PM
The G41 chipset should be OK, but it's not a necessity. My G31-based ASRock board is extremely stable. You don't need bells and whistles on the MoBo, save any overclocking features you wanted to.

The larger possible issue I see is that board has only 1 PCIe slot suitable for the current generation of RME cards, so the most you'd be able to get is 32 channels with a Raydat (or 48 with 2 of the older DIGI9652, but limited to 64 buffer size, which is fine, i'm running that card). This limitation was OK for my system, all I needed was 24 channels, but YMMV. How many channels do you/might you want?

Also, computer shop guys might push a quad-core chip with the common wisdom that it's faster, better, etc, but remember that SAC uses primarily one core, with a second for video processing, so your money is better spent on a dual core with faster per-processor speed, than a quad core.

I built my SAC box for less than $250 (excluding RME), using some parts on hand, and it's quite stable, and quite fast (24 channels, 4 mixes, EQ and comps on all FOH chans, 2 rubberfilters, 1 Waves verb, 1 MAnalyzer, 5 MLimiters, at 24-25%, nary a slipped buffer. I can master and burn a CD in the background, no problem. It's only an E5200. It would still have been less than $400 buying everything new.

I'm not saying cheap out, just make sure you have the specs you need and aren't paying too much.

quaizywabbit
08-22-2009, 09:44 AM
thanks ...