PDA

View Full Version : Surround

Carlos Mills
08-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi All,

Is it possible to sub-group surround mixes the way we do with stereo mixes (grouping with a sub-out) in SS? My guess is no, but hopefuly I am missing something... :rolleyes:

Bob L
08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
No... a single chan of the XYPan assigns internally to 10 buses... no provision for subgroup faders and re-routing of 10 buses at once... too much internal resources required.

But... use group presets if you feel the need to alter multiple surround chans at once... select the group preset and tweak the knobs, then clear the group.

And, if you do this on the mixer, you can then automate that group adjustment as you do it... then sit back and let the automation take it out of your hands. :)

Bob L

Carlos Mills
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi Bob! I am just back from a 3 day intensive surround mixing session for a DVD I am working on... It's amazing how much S-P-A-C-E you gain in surround mixing... :) soon I will post something on YouTube (unfortunately, no surround YouTube mixes yet :rolleyes:)...

The main reason for asking about the surround grouping, was related to plug ins... for instance, when mixing a vocal group, I like having a compressor inserted for the whole group, along with the individual compressions... But I know, this is something I can accomplish other ways and I understand it would probably need some serious coding ...

BTW SAWStudio handled it all great! It sounds amazing. Thanks!

No... a single chan of the XYPan assigns internally to 10 buses... no provision for subgroup faders and re-routing of 10 buses at once... too much internal resources required.

But... use group presets if you feel the need to alter multiple surround chans at once... select the group preset and tweak the knobs, then clear the group.

And, if you do this on the mixer, you can then automate that group adjustment as you do it... then sit back and let the automation take it out of your hands. :)

Bob L