PDA

View Full Version : Windows Default Audio Device

Dave Labrecque
08-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Can anyone 'splain to me why when I change the Windows System Default, the first device in SAW's Options/Audio Device Setup list changes? Even during a SAW session. And without prompts of any kind. Playback is affected. :confused:

Bud Johnson
08-30-2009, 01:11 PM
It's micro$ofts way of reminding you who's boss!

Bob L
08-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Windows has a nasty way of shoving the drivers around when you alter device assignments... this can also be a problem with usb and firewire devices because Windows will drop or add the port and shove the internal list around when you plug or unplug one of these devices... :(

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
08-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Windows has a nasty way of shoving the drivers around when you alter device assignments... this can also be a problem with usb and firewire devices because Windows will drop or add the port and shove the internal list around when you plug or unplug one of these devices... :(

Bob L

Kooky. I'm sure I've seen this before, but always assumed I was hallucinating. I guess not.

Bud Johnson
08-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Bob L
Toldja:p

MikeDee
09-01-2009, 06:51 AM

Bob L

...Which is why it is a good idea (if not a Best Practice) to go into Disk Management (in Administrative Tools | Computer Management) and assign "permanent" drive letters to ALL peripheral devices, i.e., hard drives (IDE, SATA, FW, USB...all types), CD/DVD drives, and virtual drives (e.g., one created by Daemon Tools). This way your drive letter assignments stay put when you swap out devices.

When you add a new device, e.g., a new USB flash drive, it will be assigned the first available (unreserved) drive letter; then you can go into Disk Manager and assign that (or another unused) drive letter.

HTH,

Tim Miskimon
09-01-2009, 08:31 AM
...Which is why it is a good idea (if not a Best Practice) to go into Disk Management (in Administrative Tools | Computer Management) and assign "permanent" drive letters to ALL peripheral devices, i.e., hard drives (IDE, SATA, FW, USB...all types), CD/DVD drives, and virtual drives (e.g., one created by Daemon Tools). This way your drive letter assignments stay put when you swap out devices.

When you add a new device, e.g., a new USB flash drive, it will be assigned the first available (unreserved) drive letter; then you can go into Disk Manager and assign that (or another unused) drive letter.

HTH,
I've done this and my USB turntable still gets put at the top of the devices list every time I plug it in - which screws up all my device prefs in SAW.
My work a round has been to use Sawpro when using the USB turntable - that way it leaves Saw Studio alone.
...and since Sawpro doesn't get used much these days it works out fine...:)