PDA

View Full Version : Mix template files Hoe do YOU use them ??

mikebuzz
12-08-2004, 03:29 PM
I have a few ?'s about how you guys use your mix templates

I will do several mix's on a song ( trying different variations of verses etc. different fx eq's etc. ) I have been saving these as mix templates

My ? is does SAW save the cutting up of tracks/changing regions etc. in the mix template file ??

Also if I save a session after doing these changes does that overwrite the original EDL file with the changes ?? if so not saving the EDL leaves it in the original condition true ?

How do you guys handle these situations , whats the best way to do this ??

Thanks
Buzz

PS: should I look at this like working with tape ?? making new mix's then resetting the board next time I open the session ?? for a new mix

Leadfoot
12-08-2004, 07:54 PM
I will do several mix's on a song ( trying different variations of verses etc. different fx eq's etc. ) I have been saving these as mix templates

That's what edl's are for.. just save them as different edl's.

My ? is does SAW save the cutting up of tracks/changing regions etc. in the mix template file ??

No, mix templates are a user defined preset starting point for a session. They are a great thing to have I use them all the time.

Also if I save a session after doing these changes does that overwrite the original EDL file with the changes ??

Again just use the 'save as' edl function and create a different name for the file, thus keeping the original version too.

Thanks
Buzz

PS: should I look at this like working with tape ?? making new mix's then resetting the board next time I open the session ?? for a new mix
[/QUOTE]
Just open the original version of the edl, then right away save it as another copy of that edl and then do your work on that copy. Leaves the first version untouched and allows you to do whatever you want with the following copies and so on...

Hope that helps.

Tony

AudioAstronomer
12-08-2004, 07:58 PM
I tend to like working with mix templates as mike suggested, it keeps me from making the error of "saving" into the wrong mix. It's a fun way to work I think.

Leadfoot
12-08-2004, 08:02 PM
I tend to like working with mix templates as mike suggested, it keeps me from making the error of "saving" into the wrong mix. It's a fun way to work I think.

Mix templates have no idea if you added or removed regions or sound files do they? I don't get it. If you slice and dice a session, which I'm pretty sure it's all about.. if you don't save an edl, a mix template ain't gonna help ya.

Tony

AudioAstronomer
12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
I normally track, edit, mix in 3 different steps. So after the edit stage I usually have 1 MAYBE 2 master sessions to build different mixes off of.

Different styles of working :)

SoundSuite
12-08-2004, 08:40 PM
From the manual...
"Mix template files can be overlaid on the current session at any time. These files store all console settings, all FX patch information, MultiTrack label and MT Entry texture information, and the current active record template assignments."

Session (edl) saves the whole enchilada, files and regions included.

If you aren't editing any regions or moving them around, etc in the MT, then a mix template would work to snapshot your mix settings.
However, I interpreted it's usage to duplicate mix settings on another like arranged session.
(similar to the channel store/recall does per channel, the mix template covers all channels)
ie, you tracked song1 and song2 the same, all the files are the same order in the MT, etc, so you want to apply the same mix to the other files...save the mix template, open the other session with the other files, and open the mix template.

Neither works for real-time a-b comparison of mixes...
But both would work given the approriate environment.

Leadfoot
12-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Yes that is all true, but I believe the original question was this..

So what? So buttons.. :)

Tony

[QUOTE=SoundSuite]From the manual...
"Mix template files can be overlaid on the current session at any time. These files store all console settings, all FX patch information, MultiTrack label and MT Entry texture information, and the current active record template assignments."

Session (edl) saves the whole enchilada, files and regions included.

Mountain Media
12-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Re: Original question --

I believe your original question is, does the mix template (or the EDL) save things like cuts in the MT, etc.

These are saved in the UNDO files created during operation. Assuming there is an active EDL associated with the session, they are saved as sequential (xx.01,02,03...) files, with 'xx' being the EDL session name. These are explained, I believe, under UNDO in the helpfile or manual.

If, as Robert and others have suggested, a new EDL file is saved at beginning of a session, then there will be new undo files created for each session.

Arco
12-09-2004, 09:17 AM
I use Mix Templates a lot when mixing a record. If you find yourself with a good starting point--panning, levels, basic effects, than you can start each tune from the same point. Makes for a more cohesive sound.

You load your tracks from library window, save as <name of tune>, than load the mix template.

Works for all other similar situations..

Oz Nimbus
12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
I do sort of the same thing.... I'll put a basic mix together for certain instruments that I know I'll want to use the same settings for.... and use that template across an album. It sure saves a lot of time as opposed to re-setting EQ's & Comps and loading up the same plugins again and again.

-0z-

mikebuzz
12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
WOW nice to hear how different people are using it different ways , SO if you cut and move regions you need to save as a new EDL !!!OK
if your just changing eq/fx etc, then save as a new mix !!

I tend to work from the aspect of several mix's per song as tests and to reference them to each other I have been saving these in the same folder as the EDL to keep them associated and close to each other.
I havent used the mix templates as you described ( IE apply it across the board ) but that idea is now in my head !!!!

Thanks for the replies guys very helpful to me

LAter
Buzz

Mountain Media
12-10-2004, 03:50 AM
I use Mix Templates a lot when mixing a record. If you find yourself with a good starting point--panning, levels, basic effects, than you can start each tune from the same point. Makes for a more cohesive sound.

You load your tracks from library window, save as <name of tune>, than load the mix template.

Works for all other similar situations..Since Bob has added Extraction, the Mix Templates work great with live concert recordings, etc. Since, in a live concert, 'starting points' for basic mix items (starting levels for inputs, pans, eq compensation for ambient space, general compression, specific mic delay, etc.) are often the same or similar, I make a/a-few basic Mix Template(s) for a concert, do extractions of individual selections, apply the most appropriate Mix Template and start from there. This is a GREAT time saver over setting parameters for each extracted selection!! Bob thinks of (almost) EVERYTHING!! :)

Naturally Digital
12-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Bob thinks of (almost) EVERYTHING!! :)That's for sure! :)