PDA

View Full Version : .NET needed for SAW or SAC?

IraSeigel
09-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I seem to recall Bob mentioning that some part of his software relies on .NET. Is that true? Or can I delete all .NET versions and all the service packs and Knowledge Bases fixes associated with .NET?

I'm asking regarding SAW and SAC. XP SP3.

I'd also be interested in this same issue as it applies to Vista (I'm stuck with it until I have the nerve to reformat and install the Win7 RTM, or XP)

Thanks.

Bob L
09-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't specifically use the .NET interfaces in my code... I do my best to avoid such clutter and write basic system handling routines that I might need within my code.... but many video display drivers, and possibly other elements of other plugins and soundcard drivers might need .NET

Bob L

Tim Miskimon
09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
A lot of new software including some plugins need .Net to run - some of which won't even install without it.
I wouldn't delete anything pertaining to .net.

UpTilDawn
09-04-2009, 05:47 PM
In fact a few of the programs I run on my tower require net2.0 and not simply net1.1, much to the chagrin of the guy who put this recording system together for me nearly six years ago. I still attempt to keep my recording rig free of excess, but sometimes it's difficult to get around (like caving to get an iLok to run a great plugin).....

DanT

IraSeigel
02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't specifically use the .NET interfaces in my code... I do my best to avoid such clutter and write basic system handling routines that I might need within my code.... but many video display drivers, and possibly other elements of other plugins and soundcard drivers might need .NET

Bob L

I'm considering some low-capacity (aka "affordable") SSDs, and I'd like to know what is and what isn't required.

Bob, does this statement still pertain to current or foreseeable-future updates?

For SAC/SAW only machines, can I also uninstall Microsoft (Win7):
SQL Server updates
Sync Framework Runtime and Services updates
Visual C++ updates
MSXML 4.0 Parser updates

Bob L
02-28-2011, 03:12 PM
As far as my code is concerned... yes... uninstall them... as for video drivers, soundcard drivers... other drivers... I don't know.

Bob L