PDA

View Full Version : OT: Road Case for LCD Monitor

IraSeigel
09-05-2009, 07:25 PM
If anyone is transporting an LCD panel in a road case or flight case, could you please tell me what amount of foam around the perimeter and top and bottom you feel provides an adequate amount of protection?

IOW, for a 19" widescreen panel, e.g., (Dell, Acer, etc) would what you suggest the interior dimensions of a case to be to accommodate the necessary amount of foam?

I'm interested in finding a Pelican or Storm-type case, and Pelican customer service isn't being very helpful.

Thanks.

dbarrow
09-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Here's one I'm probably going to order:

http://hybridcases.com/07/2/

Wam3
09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I am using a shuttle 17" LCD, right now I just wrap it in a towel and it fits right on top of the computer in the rack, Keyboard slides in on top. Probably not the best protection...

W

mloretitsch
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Someone gave me a cheap Island cases case that is intended for the Yamaha 01V.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATA-LiteFlite-Case-For-YAMAHA-01V-New_W0QQitemZ230370006373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item35a31f5565&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_1019wt_1165

I put two wooden rails across it and fastened some longer metric screws into the VESA mount on the back of the monitor. It basically rides suspended in there on the two wooden rails. I can squeeze the mouse and keyboard in there for transport. I simply sit the case on it's edge to use it.

Oh yeah...the monitor monitor is technically "upside down" in the mixer case since the shallow lid is meant to be the bottom when a mixer is in it. I use the deeper half. No foam necessary really although I left most of it in.

-Matt

wascomat
09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Hello,

I am also looking for a solution since everything else fits into a 19" rack that I have custom assembled to hold everything, but the monitor won't fit inside!:(
I put a mackie control and the lcd monitor on top of the rack with keyboard and mouse. Puts it all at proper height for me.;)

So for now I retrieved my old keyboard cases and put misc stuff in there including the lcd monitor which is inside the original box it was shipped in.:)

Not a perfect solution but it is safe with some extra bubble wrap around the box and I am confident the roadies can kick it around without harm.

I think I can get some dense foam and create a cutout for it in one of these cases. It would only save a couple of minutes to remove it from the case directly instead of also having to remove it from it's box.

We have a company nearby that makes custom cases for keyboards, computers etc Sometimes they get an 'orphan' case that isn't picked up and will sell these very reasonable.
Cabbage Cases Inc
www.cabbagecases.com

1166 Steelwood Rd # C
Columbus, OH 43212-1370
(614) 486-2495
I have given them dimensions/intentions and they have made several cases for me. They also sell that dense foam that goes into these cases.

Eventually I will need to do something other than carry mine like this since the box will come apart and the styrofoam will disintegrate but with careful packing/unpacking it has lasted for a hundred or so gigs.:D

wascomat

hclague
09-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I use a 2 space Kaces rack bag with inserts that I made from grey foam. The monitor is a 17" and fits perfectly in the rack. A remote laptop and the stand for the monitor travel in the laptop pouch on the top of the case.

IraSeigel
09-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I use a 2 space Kaces rack bag with inserts that I made from grey foam. The monitor is a 17" and fits perfectly in the rack. A remote laptop and the stand for the monitor travel in the laptop pouch on the top of the case.

Great idea.

You should go with a nice toenail polish next time...:) Maybe a sparkly purple?

Wink0r
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
You should go with a nice toenail polish next time...+1

Greg Plouvier
09-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey All,

Just letting everyone know I run a case company in CO if you need anything.

Thanks

dbarrow
09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
A strange thing has happened since we started using SAC. Some audience members (usually guests at parties we play) will see the LCD monitor sitting on top of the SAC host at the side of the stage and think that it's "iTune" or that we are lip-syncing. This is sheer ignorance at best and it becomes a nuisance when one of these people starts "spreading the word" amongst the other quests.

What I am now considering for an LCD case option is a shallow case where the LCD monitor lays flat, pointed straight up. This way no one can really see that there is even a monitor there and the monitor is only really visable to the people on stage when they walk right up to it. I am thinking there might even be a ready-made turntable roadcase that would be the right size and I could just modify the foam insert or create a new one.

Wam3
09-08-2009, 07:51 PM
What, you guys don't lip sync? :D We play a lot of parties, and smaller gigs where people come up to the stage - but we have a sound guy, so they usually bother him with the "what is the computer for?" questions .... I would print up some sort of card to give them with some groovy "state of the art" sound system copy - might as well turn it into a marketing opportunity :-)

I was going to do something similar with a SKB Gig rig, put the monitor where the mixer usually goes - but 10 spaces isn't enough, and everything would be to constrained - plus the thing is really big ..... and I need to fit everything into my mini-van ...

I really like the Shuttle LCD, it has a fold out stand/arm and it fold up flat and fits on top of the computer in the rack. I have been thinking of getting a shock mount ATA type rack, then I could probably rig some sort of case into one of the lids for a bigger LCD.

W

Cary B. Cornett
09-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I have a deep square suitcase (maybe accordion case, but we here call it "The Hat Box") that I picked out of the trash about 4 years before I bought my Samsung SyncMaster 931b 19" LCD. The screen surface is slightly recessed behind the "frame", so if the monitor is face down on a rigid flat surface the nothing touches that surface. It fits perfectly that way in the cloth-lined bottom of the Hat Box. I tie it into place, put a piece of foam over it, then put in my BCF2000, a keyboard, a trackball, headphones, a Littlelite, and the various computer cables.

One neat feature of my LCD that I did not see until after I bought it is that I can take the "foot" off with a single screw, no tools needed. This makes it easy to pack the monitor flat.

glass50
09-09-2009, 02:52 PM
With talk about what to do with screens, here is my solution. Screen is held inside SKB 8U rack back cover with four screws after foot was removed. Cables stay attached. back cover is clamped to mouse/keyboard desk fixed to top of SKB case.

DavidandMary
09-09-2009, 03:05 PM
You guys are resourceful! Creative even!:)

gdougherty
09-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I have an angled top rackmount case with 12U of space below it. The entire SAC rig is in the 12U below. Cut a plywood sheet to create a top section above it in the mixer mounting area. Pulled the mixer rails and cut down the packing styrofoam the monitor originally came in so it fit within the top of the case. Keyboard, mouse, wireless router and detachable base all pack on top of the styrofoam.

sjpaul
09-10-2009, 01:07 AM
With talk about what to do with screens, here is my solution. Screen is held inside SKB 8U rack back cover with four screws after foot was removed. Cables stay attached. back cover is clamped to mouse/keyboard desk fixed to top of SKB case.

That's a clever solution!

I've been looking at getting a rackmount TFT / keyboard combo that slides in and out from the top 1u of my SAC flightcase.... just waiting for 1 cheap enough on eBay!!

dbarrow
09-10-2009, 07:20 AM
That's a clever solution!

I've been looking at getting a rackmount TFT / keyboard combo that slides in and out from the top 1u of my SAC flightcase.... just waiting for 1 cheap enough on eBay!!
I would be interested in what you find. Do you know if there are any 1920x1200 LCD models? I have gotten spoiled on 1920x1200. I had to configure one of the musician's notebooks to remote in to the host and it was something less than 1920x1200. I was seriously bummed!

I wish someone would make a notebook-sized 1920x1200 LCD kit to where you could have a smaller monitor (but freestanding, not in the notebook), but with the full 1920x1200 resolution. This would be very handy for the host rack, so I wouldn't have to have this big 25" monitor sitting on top. It's more trouble to transport the larger monitor as well, as evidenced by this post.

dbarrow
09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
For the LCD monitor/keyboard/trackball:

This case: http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_prod.php?p=RRM2U&k=154310

with this mounting plate: http://www.altex.com/VMP-10-17-LCD-Monitor-Rack-Mount-ER-LCD1017-P142995.aspx

and keyboard in this drawer: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=262-230

or this, and keep the drawer close when not in use: http://www.ipctechnology.com/products/rack-console/smk-820/smk820s17-overview.htm

or this, with the monitor mounted in the slant top with the mounting plate: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/151504-REG/SKB_1SKB19_R1010_R1010_Gig_Rig_Case.html

DaveS
09-10-2009, 10:06 PM

Now THAT'S cool! Great idea! I've got a Gator roll-about rack with a tiltable top section that I have a 17" monitor mounted in...I want to find a bigger monitor for it though. I'll have to get a picture of the rack and post it.

dbarrow
09-11-2009, 10:58 PM
o.k., I came up with an elegant, low-cost solution to the karoake/lip-sync perception problem or the "nosey, drunk audience member thinking that the SAC host is some kind of evil trickery" issue. I bought an Acer V173B 17" monitor, took off all the pedestal hardware and put it in a 2u rack drawer, with the cables running out the hole in the back of the drawer. I cut some pieces of foam to sandwich it into the drawer tightly. Now the monitor faces straight up, so no one in the audience can really see it and the drawer can be closed when no one is tweaking their monitor mix, etc. The keyboard is a wireless IOGear model with a built in trackball. Other than setting up the system initially and occasional monitor mix tweaks, no one needs the monitor and keyboard. I do most of the work at FOH on the notebook.

I had a nice big 1920x1200 LCD for the host before, but I don't really need it and it was a pin to carry around. This solution cost less than $250 and makes thing a lot simpler.

carolin
09-14-2009, 12:37 AM
What is the difference between a HDTV and a lCD monitor? I have a normal flat screen tv, i am planning to buy a new HDTV or lcd monitor ( depending on which is better) . The only reason i will be using my display unit will be for gaming ( using my xbox 360). Any suggestiions on which is best for gaming?

Brent Evans
09-14-2009, 06:51 AM
What is the difference between a HDTV and a lCD monitor? I have a normal flat screen tv, i am planning to buy a new HDTV or lcd monitor ( depending on which is better) . The only reason i will be using my display unit will be for gaming ( using my xbox 360). Any suggestiions on which is best for gaming?

Apples and oranges. HDTV refers to the resolution of the display (720p or greater). LCD is a display technology. Some LCDs can display HDTV, some can't. HDTV can be viewed on many technologies besides LCD, such as CRT, plasma, DLP, OLED, and others.

That said, you can find great deals on HDTV LCDs right now, they're usually the most bang for buck.