PDA

View Full Version : Full mixer fader clicking...

AudioAstronomer
12-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I noticed when using the Full mixer view and the E mixer simultaneously... If you click a fader in the F mixer to a channel you're not currently on, and drag... the E mixer does not update to the proper channel till you let go.

Seems like soon as you click the fader in the F mixer, the E mixer would follow immediately so you can use the E mixer for feedback more clearly.

mghtx
12-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Well, a full "click" of the mouse is not complete until you "let go". Is that right? So if you "click and let go" on that full mixer fader, then the command is given. Hope I'm making sense.

AudioAstronomer
12-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Correct.

It seems like everything should "follow" on mousedown, not on mouseclick. It is a small bit annoying to double click the fader to get the E mixer to follow.

mghtx
12-09-2004, 02:38 PM
How could one code for "mousedown" without that code affecting a whole lot of other things though? And, it's been a while since I looked at the manual but is there a keyboard shortcut to do what your asking? By that I mean to go to the next channel or go to a specific channel?

AudioAstronomer
12-09-2004, 02:57 PM
How could one code for "mousedown" without that code affecting a whole lot of other things though? And, it's been a while since I looked at the manual but is there a keyboard shortcut to do what your asking? By that I mean to go to the next channel or go to a specific channel?
code for mousedown would seem very simple...

Bob L
12-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Changing the hottracks and redrawing the screen can take some time depending on the particular screen layout... for instance... if someone has the multitrack spread across two monitors with 20 tracks of waveforms and regions and softedges and automation displayed.

My idea is that if you are grabbing a control, I want you to get instant access to the control and instant motion feedback as you adjust.

If you grab a control on the Full Mixer that is not on the current hottrack, I delay the update of the hottrack view chasing till after you let go of the control for reasons of instant grabbing and motion control as you adjust. If I did not do that, then the screen updates may delay a second or two as mentioned above and the result is that the feel of adjusting the control is a hindered and sluggish experience... very much like many of the software programs out there. :)

So, this delay for hottrack changing is by design... and trust me, if it reacted the way you suggested... you would not like the feel... I had the code that way originally and changed it.

So, if you were to first change to the hottrack of interest, then grab the control, you would also have the visual feedback instantly... so use the Full Mixer as a quick way to select channel xx... then grab the control on the E Mixer itself... much better way to adjust the fader anyway. :)

Bob L

mghtx
12-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Poor Bob....... You know, we walk a fine line here. We ask for a little change here and a little change there and the next thing you know we have........Nuendo. :D Another program so full of code that all hell breaks loose. :p Maybe it can be done without problems. If anyone can do it, it would be Bob. Or you, Robert. You seem pretty skilled.

Give us the "Mousedown" update, Robert! :D

AudioAstronomer
12-09-2004, 03:18 PM
can you think of a way to show the current level of the track when initially dragging the control in the F-mixer? Since Im still in lite (due to financial issues... damn commercialized holidays!) I use the full mixer for most mixing duties cause it lets me get a lot of tracks up with feedback on my tiny monitor :)

I like my tiny monitor!

ugh, that's what I get for fighting the system :)

Bob L
12-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Robert, click on the Full Mixer to change hottracks, then grab the fader on the E Mixer and mix from there... click to change hottracks, then grab the E Mixer fader... etc.

Or, use the wheel mouse inside the E Mixer to change hottracks and then mix from there.

Or use the wheel mouse inside the Full Mixer to change hot tracks, then grab either fader. In fact once you first change hottracks, then you can grab the small fader and the E Mixer will instantly track along, but if you go directly to a small fader on a different hottrack, you are telling the program that you want to operate that small fader, not the big one, so the E Mixer chasing is held off until you are done with the small fader.

A very simple and elegant design, in my opinion.

Don't try grabbing the small faders, or else be comfortable with looking at the small fader for reference... whichever control you grab is where the focus and action will be... the E mixer will tag along after the fact if it is not the control you are grabbing.

Bob L

mghtx
12-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Since Im still in lite (due to financial issues... damn commercialized holidays!)

Ooh, I feel your pain! :D Actually, after winter I'm thinking of taking on a second job so I can MOVE UP to lite. That would be SWEET.

AudioAstronomer
12-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Ok still taking a stab at ways.... Maybe it will click soon.

Different channel tapers in the Full mixer be possible? :)

I really should just find another way to do this... but I like it this way so much dagnabbit... Will spend time tonight figuring out how this is "supposed" to be done.

Naturally Digital
12-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Ok still taking a stab at ways.... Maybe it will click soon.

I was about to suggest using the keyboard (the < key and the > key) but I see they only work when the multitrack has focus...

Any reason those keys couldn't be enabled for the mixer views?

Other than that, I guess you're stuck using your ears eh Robert. ;) (not meant as a dig BTW).

Dave.

AudioAstronomer
12-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Yeah, that whole usin your ears thing.... what a drag. This isnt photography for goodness sakes lol.

Someday...