PDA

View Full Version : Those individual L and R files.

Christian
12-11-2004, 04:02 AM
getting project from PT users I always end up with these separate L and R
files which is a hassle to operate in SS.

It would be lovevly to be able to treat two spearate files as a stereo
file in SS.

What I get is folder of houndreds of files like.

Wind1 L.wav
Wind1 R.wav
car3 L.wav
car3 R.wav

and so..

This completly change they way I am working, and the operation in SS becomes
becomes way more complex then when only operating stereo files.

Is there anyone with any tips regarding this issue ?

any SS tips ? or if anyone knows of a batching programs that can identify the
matching files to each other automaticly by name, legnth and type and
automaticly batch them into stereo files ?
This kind of apps would of course end up with new files that ´have no
connection to an edl of anykind which is not smart.

Maybe this could be an issue for Rail ?

Christian

AudioAstronomer
12-11-2004, 09:28 AM
This came up before by steve berson I beleive and I offered to write a utility to take care of it... but everyone had it handled so...

I have one pretty much ready that I use when doing PT sessions, all I need to do is slap a decent interface on it (which Im terrible at!)

Sean McCoy
12-11-2004, 10:42 AM
getting project from PT users I always end up with these separate L and R
files which is a hassle to operate in SS.

Is there anyone with any tips regarding this issue ?

any SS tips ? or if anyone knows of a batching programs that can identify the
matching files to each other automaticly by name, legnth and type and
automaticly batch them into stereo files ?
Christian

EDL Convert Pro includes a stereo splitting/merging utility. If you'll be regularly swapping between Studio and PT, I highly recommend it.

Bob L
12-11-2004, 10:52 AM
When editing L and R mono files, I find that placing them side by side and simply selecting the track numbers makes it easy to do edits across both channels in one move. cuts and boundary adjustments, softedges... most things edit as if the files were 1... I personally don't find it that big of deal.

Of course you can select and build mixes to combine items to stereo results, but there is no batch mode for this.

Bob L

Rail Jon Rogut
12-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Interleaver (http://www.railjonrogut.com/Interleaver.zip) -- this is a simple (and incomplete) app I wrote for Dave some time back.

http://www.railjonrogut.com/Interleaver.jpg

Rail

Dave Labrecque
12-11-2004, 01:25 PM
As Rail says, it's barebones at this point. But works great if that's all you need. I find it a great help.

Woops, I didn't see it on Rail's website, but now I see he's made a link for you, Christian. :)

Christian
12-12-2004, 05:19 AM
Bob.

I know this feature but I haven´t found a way to let the automation follow when you click on them.

Rail, thanks so much for the apps. I will try it immidiatelly

Sean, I do have a copy of Edl Convert Pro which I have used alot. I haven´t found that merging thing yet, I am truly hope that it can identify the files and merge them automaticly.

Lots of times I get work that needs 3 days to do, but my customer will only pay for oneday work, so the matter of time to open a project must be in seconds if possible. Just waiting for the convert of the houndres of files is frustrating enough.

Christian
12-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Hey,

I did find that merging tool in Edl Convert, It does the job excellent.
It identifies and automaticly merg everything it finds in the slelected folder, fantastic...

Christian

Carl G.
12-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Hey,

I did find that merging tool in Edl Convert, It does the job excellent.
It identifies and automaticly merg everything it finds in the slelected folder, fantastic...

Christian
Dumb question... but why does PT insist on doing files separately for each channel? Seems archaic and wasteful.
Carl

SoundSuite
12-14-2004, 03:19 AM
Dumb question... but why does PT insist on doing files separately for each channel? Seems archaic and wasteful.
Carl

I dunno Carl...
It's a mighty big ledge, the world just ends as we know it, you fall off never to come back.
I haven't ever seen the edge of the world yet myself literally, but I know it's there, someone told me so.
See where you can't see anymore?
That's it...that's the end of the world!
No, No, don't go to look at it, stay here where it's safe.
There's no need to go there.

;)

Bob L
12-14-2004, 03:27 AM
The edge of the world is on the Thirteenth Floor... past all the Detour signs and Danger Signs warning you to go back. :)

If you haven't seen it... get the movie "The Thirteenth Floor" and enjoy the ride.

Bob L

Perry
12-14-2004, 03:32 AM
The edge of the world is on the Thirteenth Floor... past all the Detour signs and Danger Signs warning you to go back. :)

If you haven't seen it... get the movie "The Thirteenth Floor" and enjoy the ride.

Bob L

I saw that! Pretty wild.... interesting idea! :)

Carlos Mills
12-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Carl

Hi Carl,

A PT user once told me that, since PT was originally designed to work with mono files only, there is a quality loss when converting to Stereo. But I have no technical info to prove it...

Best regards,

Bob L
12-14-2004, 11:41 AM
A PT user once told me that, since PT was originally designed to work with mono files only, there is a quality loss when converting to Stereo.

More of that audio insanity floating around for the pod people to grasp onto. :D

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
12-14-2004, 11:53 AM
More of that audio insanity floating around for the pod people to grasp onto. :D

Bob L
You never know.. protools there just might be a quality loss when converting from mono to stereo! LOL