PDA

View Full Version : On-top of Totalmix

Naturally Digital
09-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm having problems with RME Totalmix... SAW's on-top status seems to be messing with it and it takes two attempts to bring it up when it's underneath SAW.

The first time I click on Totalmix on the taskbar, it jumps back behind SAW. If I click on it again right away it then shows.

Is this just my setup or is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Warren
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm having problems with RME Totalmix... SAW's on-top status seems to be messing with it and it takes two attempts to bring it up when it's underneath SAW.

The first time I click on Totalmix on the taskbar, it jumps back behind SAW. If I click on it again right away it then shows.

Is this just my setup or is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

TotalMix runs seperate from SAW and SAC so best way to bring it up from behing is to use the "Alt-Tab", or "Alt- Esc" at least that how I have done it.

Chris

I only have one RME card so if the "on-top" option pops up when a second card is used I was not aware of it, sorry. On the HDSP Totalmix is unaware of SAW so no "on-top" is seen.

Bob L
09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Click on the 'Always On Top' option in the Total Mix Options menu. You must do this for each unit if you have more than 1 RME card in the system.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
09-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Ok. My apologies. This isn't limited to Totalmix, it's happening with other applications (Windows Explorer and Firefox are two I also have it with).

With both applications (SAW and something else) open, click back and forth multiple times between their links on the Windows taskbar.

The behavior seems a bit random but for me SAW often stays in the foreground when I click on the link for the other program (say Totalmix). Clicking repeatedly on the Totalmix link will eventually force it to the foreground.

This is also happening when I use Alt-Tab to change focus.

Sean McCoy
09-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Interesting. I started experiencing this as well, sometime within the past couple of months. Programs I frequently have open simultaneously with SAW (Quicktime, Sound Forge, Basehead) now often require at least two clicks to bring to the front. I assumed it was some quirky system or video card issue, but perhaps it is related to one of the SS updates?

Richard Rupert
09-21-2009, 08:42 AM
I am not experiencing this behavior. I switched multiple times between Firefox and SS as well as several times between IE, and Outlook and SS with only one click on each app in tray.

Naturally Digital
09-21-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm seeing this on WinXP sp3. I'll check some other installs.

nVidia video card Quadro NVS290.

Iain Westland
09-21-2009, 01:30 PM
have seen this too

Warren
09-21-2009, 01:38 PM
If you are refering to one click to hilight the program then a second to bring it to the forfront I have seen this as well, The first post and Bobs sounds as you also see a blue pyrimad on totalmix to cancel "always on top" option.

Chris

ivanoff
09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
i've the same with M-audio interface, it works fine (on top) with Saw Lite 4.6 but not with 4.7 and after.
Ivanoff

Naturally Digital
09-21-2009, 08:12 PM
i've the same with M-audio interface, it works fine (on top) with Saw Lite 4.6 but not with 4.7 and after.
IvanoffThere were some changes made a while back (around 4.0 I think) having to do with the taskbar or something. I'm wondering if the results were the same for all installs, versions of windows etc.

Demodave
09-22-2009, 07:29 AM
I have noticed this change in behavior too over the last couple of months. SawStudio darn near demands to be in the foreground in front of other windows now.

I realize that Bob recommends to have SAW running on a dedicated PC with nothing else running on it. I am one of those people that does not have the luxury of two different PC's in the studio. So I am running SawStudioLite, Outlook 2007, our radio automation software, Winamp, IE, and maybe a copy of Word...all at once.

Saw's performance is great! I never have a problem with all of these applications running at once. Saw just hums along nicely all day. But, with the recent update, I am incredibly annoyed with how SAW insists on being in the foreground in front of any other app. It takes two and sometimes three clicks to bring another program to the front.

I'm sure there is a reason for this functionality in SAW. But can it be made optional...maybe with an option in the menu to turn the foreground priority off? I would LOVE that!!

MikeDee
09-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Happens to me with both SAWStudio (4.9, though I believe it started one or two updates ago) and SAC (2.1)...on multiple machines...not limited to my dedicated DAW laptop.

I just tested on my office machine with both apps (running separately [only one open at a time], then side-by-side [linked]). In all cases it took three clicks to bring Windows Explorer from the Taskbar to the forefront (it was already opened and hidden behind SS and/or SAC).

It's been no more than a minor annoyance...I've sorta gotten used to it. It hasn't caused any major issues nor slowdowns.

Perhaps it has to do with Bob maintaining/retaining focus of certain windows/views, per prior customer requests. I'll live with it if it means better performance from SS and SAC.

Chris Kress
09-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Alt tab also is also awkward while running SAC (demo) and Sawstudio..