PDA

View Full Version : Input monitoring.. the basic question

tbond
06-04-2004, 07:30 PM
I know this topic has been almost talked to death but I'll risk one more shot at it. I'm using lite and far as I know only way to send a heaphones mix through Studio is in live mode. In the past I've always brought mic lines into my console and done the heaphone mix in an aux send. These days I'm using standalone mic pre's and for some stupid reason I was thinking I could bring the inputs directly into Studio then send them out to the headphone mix.. but only, me thinks, in live mode.

Since this is a simple deal, I'm thinking I ought to either take the second out from the pre's straight into the board for the phones mix, or maybe use my soundcard's monitor applet (Frontier Dakota) to pick the inputs off of that, nah guess not. Call me old & stubborn but going right out of the pre's just seems simple and straightforward.

Am I missing something obvious?

Tim Bond

Carlos Mills
06-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi Tim,

(...) or maybe use my soundcard's monitor applet (Frontier Dakota) to pick the inputs off of that

This is the way I use to handle this. If your soundcard's monitor applet is flexible enough, you can have monitoring with zero latency just like with a regular console... Hope this helps.

Bob L
06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Yes you can do what you are asking if your system can achieve the low latency of 3 x 256 or less.

The details of Live Inputs and then recording through Live inputs is fairly well covered in the thread called "No Live Inputs Have Been Assigned".

Check for my answers there... you will find some details that may help you.

Live Inputs become active when Live Input Mode is engaged or when any playback or record or SRP mode is engaged... in other words whenever the engine is active.

Bob L