PDA

View Full Version : Two little questions...

prosodio
12-13-2004, 04:59 AM
Hello, I´m using an egosys waveterminal 192x card wich driver allows me to transfer digital audio from nuendo or cubase to sawstudio (directwire, virtual audio cable). I have only one complain, when I press play in nuendo then I have to play rec in saw to transfer and there is differents delays between tracks. So when I have all my midi tracks from nuendo in mt saw, all of them are delayed. So if I have a drum-set I have to spend a lot of time putting each tom, ride, snare, kick drum in the same time. Any ideas to make it easier?

On the other side I´m trying to perform my strato with guitar rig in multitrack saw, and I´m unable to make it sound in real-time. I patch guitar rig in prefader fx, the I choose input source, dev 1, then I press rec and I want to choose a mono channel in the rec menu but they are chosen in the input source so I can´t select the one where I have my guitar plugged.

Sorry a lot of questions.

Thak you

Arco
12-13-2004, 06:46 AM
I"m having trouble understanding your setup:

are you running MIDI in Nuendo/cubase and driving VSTi's and recording that output in SAW?

Or are you playing digital audio in Nuendo/Cubase and recording the output to SAW?

In either case it might be easier to create digital audio in either nuendo/cubase and then import those files into saw (WAV/AIFF).

You could also put a "pop" as a marker on each track a bar or two before the beginning of the track which would make it a simple job to align the tracks

prosodio
12-13-2004, 07:19 AM
Thank you for your answer, arco. I´m a demo user, I´m using cubase sx2 both for audio and midi, but I would like to transfer all the midi sequencing from cubase sx to saw, and the make the rest of overdubbs in saw enviroment. Yes I could make the way you told me, but I when I make the mixdown from midi to audio in cubase, the result is far worse than in saw. I don´t understand the pop marks you talk about...

Thank you again

SoundSuite
12-13-2004, 08:26 AM
On the other side I´m trying to perform my strato with guitar rig in multitrack saw, and I´m unable to make it sound in real-time. I patch guitar rig in prefader fx, the I choose input source, dev 1, then I press rec and I want to choose a mono channel in the rec menu but they are chosen in the input source so I can´t select the one where I have my guitar plugged.

You're doing everything correct, up to the end...
You need to select the mixer channel as the input source in the record applet, not a mono or stereo device.
That should do it for you.

Sorry, I have no ideas on your first question.

Arco
12-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Thank you for your answer, arco. I´m a demo user, I´m using cubase sx2 both for audio and midi, but I would like to transfer all the midi sequencing from cubase sx to saw, and the make the rest of overdubbs in saw enviroment. Yes I could make the way you told me, but I when I make the mixdown from midi to audio in cubase, the result is far worse than in saw. I don´t understand the pop marks you talk about...
Thank you again

Can you: import the MIDI sequence to SAW MIDIworkshop and then load the banks of VSTi's you have already previously setup and saved in Nuendo/cubase?

Once you're in SAW with MidiWorkshop everything will be cool. You simply output your VSTi's to separate outputs and then record them to MT. Everything will sync up fine.

I've left out a lot of little steps. Take some time and read the manual/helpfiles/video online training files for precise instructions and post any questions here.

Which VSTi's are you using?

prosodio
12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Hello, I´m using NI battery, piano malmsjo, scarbee wurly, NI b4 (very classic sounds), my main problem is with drums. Now I´m thinking about buying bfd to improve drums sounds. Malmsjo piano and scarbee are played with rgc sfz+ (sampler). B4 and sfz can be recorded patching them in prefader input channel in multitrack (I like playing them instead of sequencing, it´s more natural ) but with battery I prefer midi, I like cubase´s drum editor a lot.

Thank you again

Bob L
12-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Prosodio,

You may find it easier to hook on the Midi WorkShop demo also and simply import your midi file directly into it and then patch in the same VSTi synths in SAW and forget about trying to transfer as audio.

If you are going to transfer audio and you can transfer all tracks in one pass, you would not have the sync problem.

If you must do multiple passes, you will need to generate MTC or Smpte from SAW and have Nuendo chase so that each pass will drop the audio in the proper place.

As for the mono device selection... you have two different ways to bring a live signal into SAW... one is a direct hook to the soundcard device. Simply open a record meter and select the Mono device the signal is connected to directly. This means all of the console channels are set to MultiTrack... not to devices. This will free up the selection for the record meter. This method offers no monitoring thru SAW... you must be hearing the signal from your external gear or mixer.

The second method is to use SAWStudio's Virtual console to monitor and route the signal completely. This is a little more complex, but very powerful. It depends on your soundcard driver having the capability to reach stable performance at low latencies. Details of console signal routing like this can be found in the helpfile in the recording section and Virtual Console section. Here is where you set the console channel to look at the device, then in the record meter, you select the Mixer Channel option to get to the signal. The stereo or mono setting in this method is controlled by the MONO selection on the mixer channel that hooks to the device.

There is much to learn about SAWStudio that will be quite different from Nuendo and Cubase... give it a few days... watch the demo videos to get a feel for the way it's designed and then read the helpfile or follow the online tutorials... the journey will hopefully be well worth it for to start understanding why it works differently than the programs you are used to.

The end results can be a tremendous bonus.

Bob L

Carlos Mills
12-14-2004, 05:06 AM
Hi Bob,

The second method is to use SAWStudio's Virtual console to monitor and route the signal completely. This is a little more complex, but very powerful. It depends on your soundcard driver having the capability to reach stable performance at low latencies. Details of console signal routing like this can be found in the helpfile in the recording section and Virtual Console section. Here is where you set the console channel to look at the device, then in the record meter, you select the Mixer Channel option to get to the signal. The stereo or mono setting in this method is controlled by the MONO selection on the mixer channel that hooks to the device.
Bob L

Not meaning to push you or something (I know the immense tasks you are envolved with), but are there any chances for us to see the "tape emulation" mode for live overdubbing in SS? I know there are work arounds for this, but I think it would be very exciting to have "auto input monitor" available in SS, if you know what I mean... I think we talked about this sometim ago... Maybe this would be the last big enhancement we would ever need... :) (hey wait, probably not... :D )

Take care,

Bob L
12-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Its on the list Carlos.

And I truly doubt anything will ever be the last enhancement we'll ever need. :D

Bob L