PDA

View Full Version : Delay feature request

gdougherty
09-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Soloing the delay tonight and noticed that the delay is effectively muted while setting the tempo by tap. I'm guessing it's because the delay is being recalculated based on the new values and it starts from scratch. It'd be nice if the previous delay parameters were still processed while tapping a new tempo. The silence can sound a little odd and obvious.

Bob L
09-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Every time the delay parameters are altered, new buffers must be allocated to fit the size needed for the delay in the current design... otherwise... huge amounts of pre-assigned ram buffers would have to be assigned when the plugin initializes wasting ram resources that may never be used.

Bob L

gdougherty
10-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Every time the delay parameters are altered, new buffers must be allocated to fit the size needed for the delay in the current design... otherwise... huge amounts of pre-assigned ram buffers would have to be assigned when the plugin initializes wasting ram resources that may never be used.

Bob L

Okay, I thought it would just be calculating things and continuously acting on the current audio stream, but the buffering needs make sense. My old tc electronics M300 managed it somehow, so I figured it might be simple enough to do in software.

Bob L
10-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Yup... each plugin patch would need to pre-allocate the buffer for the largest amount of delay the plugin would allow... whether you use only 2 ms or 10,000 ms... and all that ram would then not be available for other plugs and programs.... not the best solution in my mind... so I opted to allocate the buffers to the current delay settings as the settings were changed... that creates the processing dropout as the buffers are de-allocated and re-allocated...

Figured in most cases, delays would be set and left alone.

And... its certainly not too difficult to imagine finding a momentary silent spot in the show to switch delay settings when needed.... or patch in a few delays set to various settings and simply bypass one on and one off.

Bob L

MMP
10-01-2009, 05:03 AM
It seems to me two would do it. Tap the new time on the muted one and then unmute. Then mute the old one. I think the JMSmith native delay does change tap without muting, though it wows like a real tape IIRC.

Regards,

MM