PDA

View Full Version : problem with older session

Grekim
10-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm doing some archiving the is week. I have a project from December last year. When I open it I get the warning about corrupt Sonalksis plug-in(s). When I try to delete the instance in the FX-Pre box SAW crashes every time. It also crashes if I try to play the session. Now, a song from the same project had the issue of crashing when I tried to play it with the corrupt plug-in, but I was able to delete it from the song (without a crash) and then it played. So there's no difference between the songs that I can see. We've already discussed the Sonalksis issue before, but I want to be able to salvage the edl without the plug-in.

Bob L
10-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Is this a vst plugin? If so... remove the dll or the linked .ini file from the SAWStudio VST_Plugins folder... then restart the system... the edl should now mark the plugin as missing... and you should have no problem clearing it from the edl... then resaving the edl.

You can then link back to the plugin in the folder and restart... if the plugin is working fine for new edls... then it should be ok from now on...

Something must have changed in their older and newer versions that have to do with their saved settings format.

Bob L

Grekim
10-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Well now I'm using VST only. At the time I may have had DX or both DX and VST in the FX choices.

Here's a fix! If I click on the offending plug-in instance in the edl so that the plug-in window opens and then delete it, SAW does not crash. Clicking on the plug-in does repeat the corrupt settings message I got when opening the edl and of course the parameters of the EQ are default flat. But, I can move on.

Bob, when clearing files in the file view, is there a way to avoid clicking OK for each file link you want deleted? On a related note, is there a way to delete a region and leave its automation? I've been copying automation to a blank layer and then back to the original. Thanks.

Bob L
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
In the File View... just select multiple entries at once and then use the Delete Selected Entries option.

Automation that is within a region links to the region... delete the region and the automation goes too... but... do what you are doing, or just mark the automation in Automation mode and Ctrl-Drag down to an empty track... delete the region, then drag the automation back up... same idea.

Or... if the automation is only near the front or back of the region... drag the region boundary to exclude the automation before deleting the region.

Bob L

Ian Alexander
10-01-2009, 07:04 PM
On a related note, is there a way to delete a region and leave its automation? I've been copying automation to a blank layer and then back to the original. Thanks.
Don't know if this will work for your application, but...

If you double-click the region in the MT, then File--Open Sound File, mark the replacement region in the new file and press U, the region will be replaced in the MT. Even if the new region is shorter, the automation will remain on the track. HTH.

Grekim
10-02-2009, 04:40 AM
In the File View... just select multiple entries at once and then use the Delete Selected Entries option.

Yep, that's what I'm doing, but if there are 15 files I need to hit enter 15 times to confirm deletion. Or maybe it's just to confirm deletion of regions? Maybe if I delete regions first I can avoid that. No big deal either way. I just was hoping of using "shift-okay" as in when you want to find missing soundfiles when you open an edl for example.

Grekim
10-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Don't know if this will work for your application, but...

If you double-click the region in the MT, then File--Open Sound File, mark the replacement region in the new file and press U, the region will be replaced in the MT. Even if the new region is shorter, the automation will remain on the track. HTH.

Okay cool. I'm not used to doing any of that and it may come in handy. I think the extract session feature may be what I need to use actually. What I want to do specifically is have one soundfile for each track all starting from time zero...a typical archive situation I want these soundfiles to replace the regions in the edl while keeping all automation intact. Then I want to remove links to the original soundfiles. In this way, the tracks can be pulled into any DAW, and if the SAW edl is opened everything will be ready to go. So I was simply exporting tracks (without mixer processing) and then replacing the original regions in the edl. But stupid me forgot about using extract session.

Bob L
10-02-2009, 09:00 AM
To export tracks to any DAW just use the Export Tracks option in the Process Mixdown menu. You can create processed or non-processed files of one length from any session.

Bob L

Grekim
10-02-2009, 09:59 AM
To export tracks to any DAW just use the Export Tracks option in the Process Mixdown menu. You can create processed or non-processed files of one length from any session.

Bob L

Yes, this is what I do and it is perfect and fast for a "universal" archive. But again, I want to also archive a SAW edl using these same exported files as the sources for the edl, and not use the original source files which are likely to be longer due to multiple takes/layers. So I can do all this now, but I will experiment with the extract session to eliminate a couple of steps.

Edit: Tried it. Extract session is great for cutting down on file size (by using only top layer for example) for a SAW archive. You'd still need to export audio tracks for a more universal track archive. I'll stick with my original method of exporting, then an easy automation layer copy, and importing the contiguous soundfiles.