PDA

View Full Version : sorta OT: monitor AMP

cedric
12-14-2004, 03:22 PM
what do you guys use?
i REALLY need a monitor amp.
i've got some decent speakers (passive), but i'm tired of having to boost volume and hence killing headroom in mixes just to make the listener in the back of the room here it all... geez... ;)

i run a motu 896 which has 2 seperate monitor outs.

what do you use?

- ced

SoundSuite
12-14-2004, 03:30 PM
JBL/UREI Model 6230

Naturally Digital
12-14-2004, 03:39 PM
what do you guys use?
Bryston 3B.

Dave.

matt
12-14-2004, 03:41 PM
You might want to consider powered monitors unless your existing monitors are high-end... btw, what do you have? I have been using the KRK V-4's for several years without complaints. If I ever need more volume I will purchase the S-12 subwoofer. Apparently a lot of engineer's like this settup. It will cost you about $1500usd for sub and mains. Other than that you are looking at a Bryston which will run about $2000. The best thing to do is go to your local pro music shop and give everything a try. Everybody likes a different flavor! ;) If you're really feeling crazy pick up a pair of Adam's... I've never heard anything like them, but it will cost you dearly.

tomasino
12-15-2004, 10:37 AM
A number of moons ago, it was the Alesis RA-100.
Clean enough n' got the job done.

Now, its no amp.
Using the Mackie HR824 powered monitors. Incredible diff..

Perry
12-15-2004, 11:36 AM
conrad-johnson MF-2200 for mains. Phase Linear 400 for nearfields.

Really good Pro amps can be pretty pricey. Depends on what you want but some of the powered monitors might be your best choice. Lot to select from and great bang for buck in most cases.

But, another often untapped source is the high end hi-fi market and a lot of high quality stuff can sometimes be found used. If you do a bit of searching (and researching) great deals can be found there sometimes.

If yo go to a big music store there will be the usual suspects to listen to and check out of course.

Perry