PDA

View Full Version : VTV - Extract audio to MT on a PAL system.

omaru
12-14-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm having a couple of strange things happen with Extract audio to MT on a PAL system.

SMPTE is set to 25 frames.

The movie is "Fried Green Tomatoes". The dialogue synch is a bit off, so I'm playing around with it in SAWStudio 3.9b demo.

The AVI inserts to MT no problems. Double click on movie track shows in/out = 0/187134. This is confirmed using the time line at the bottom of the Video Track Viewer. After starting the audio extract, things seem to run fine until 187134 frames is reached which, at this stage, is only about 1/4 of the way through the movie.
Now the Video Track Viewer counter stops at 187134. Video continues to play and audio continues to extract until it's file size is 1,437,101,612 (about 10-15 mins later).
The extraction always stops at this point. The video continues to run to the end, then a peak file is created and all the audio is where it should be !!!!!!! :confused:

BTW - after beginning the extraction - the Video Track Viewer timeline at bottom has moved it's full distance when the counter stops (187134). i.e. 1/4 way into the movie.

Anyone else having this on PAL?

Thanks

omaru

Bob L
12-14-2004, 08:25 PM
This has nothing to do with PAL... it has everything to do with how the video and audio was interleaved when it was originally captured or created.

In this case, it appears that the audio is pretty much all placed at the front of the video in large chunks, instead of being comfortably interleaved amongst the video frames all the way through the file.

The audio extraction collects all of its audio chunks while there is still much video to scan through looking for the end chunk and file end mark.

If you capture video direct in the Viewer, you should notice that it will be much more evenly interleaved and the audio extraction will even out as the video frames are scanned.

Either way... there is nothing to worry about, because the important thing is that all the audio is properly extracted and then you can slip and slide and process and add sound design effects and whatever else you care to do. If you render the project back, you should also notice that the finished project will be more evenly interleaved.

Bob L

omaru
12-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Ahhh - thank you for clearing that up Bob.

cheers

omaru