Close

Default Question for Bob on ADA8000 Gain settings

Bob: in a previous post you mentioned that when setting up the gain on your ADA8000's that you increase the gain until you see the signal clip on the ADA's indicator...and then back off 6 db. I can feel that the knob has around 20 "indents" or "notches" when you turn it it's full rotation.How many "notches" is 6db? Would that be around 2 indents / notches?
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

2. Default Re: Question for Bob on ADA8000 Gain settings

The ADA8000 manual quotes:

Microphone Inputs
    Gain Range : +10 to +60 dB

Line Inputs
    -10 to +40 dB

So that would be 50 dB of gain, divided by 20 notches _should_ equal 2.5 dB per notch.

Default Re: Question for Bob on ADA8000 Gain settings

That's what I thought.....I didn't know if the control was linear and that you could in fact divide the gain settings up like that
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsco View Post
    Bob: in a previous post you mentioned that when setting up the gain on your ADA8000's that you increase the gain until you see the signal clip on the ADA's indicator...and then back off 6 db. I can feel that the knob has around 20 "indents" or "notches" when you turn it it's full rotation.How many "notches" is 6db? Would that be around 2 indents / notches?
    It's not so simple... :-)
    http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...1&postcount=13
    Cheers.

"while(!asleep()) sheep++;"
    Carlo.

5. Default Re: Question for Bob on ADA8000 Gain settings

Should be easy enough to see via the meters in SAC or with RME's digicheck. Increase the gain by one notch and note the increase on the meter.

You do not have to care or try to be so exact... find a normally good trim position and then back it down a few notches... you can use the SAC input meters for accuracy if desired... the gain controls on each Behringer may be slightly different...

All you are trying to do is leave yourself enough headroom on each chan so you will not be needing to make constant adjustments to keep signals from clipping as the performers shift around their performance during the show.

Then you have plenty of control just using the attenuator control in SAC (which can add 20db of gain as well as attenuate).

Bob L