Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MARIAN drivers

1. Default Re: MARIAN drivers

Yes, you are absolutely right, Bill. On the other hand I am always happy to try and test something new so maybe this is the reason I am interested in relatively unknow soundcards brand. I stronlgy hope that since the Marian company is German based their support will be ok too, especially considering that the Seraphin series is obviously supposed to be kinda break-trough product for them. Anyway, I hope that I will have a chance to test it soon so I will let you know.

I will ask Sebastian Gabler for his opinion first, though.
    Last edited by safa; 12-22-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Safa (Prague, CZ) - http://www.soundman.cz/

2. Default Re: MARIAN drivers

So I finaly had the chance to test MARIAN SERAPH soundcard (A3 ADAT version) in SAC and it unfortunately does not work. All the config seems to be ok, but no audio is coming in or out. Because in ll the other apps I have it works fine (well, not just fine but excellent) I wrote email to Bob asking him on his opinion. Here you have the behaviour description:
    (...) I failed to make it working. All the setup and routing works flawlessly, but no way to get sound. Later I figured out that next to "ASIO protocol" item in menu is shown message "Unrecognized data format" which likely is the culprit. Could you describe for me what this means? I have tested the Seraph card with dozen of other software apps (DAWs and sound modules) and all of them work with the soundcard normaly.
    Here you have quoted Bob`s reply:

Safa, Their driver uses a format I did not support since I have found very few soundcards that use it. The ASIO driver protocol can use many different internal formats for the data and I chose to support the most popular ones I found during my testing of various soundcards. I have noted the format that this driver wants and was looking into adding it to the code, but so far I have not finished the implementation. It is something I will try to move near the top of my list of things todo... but unfortunately other items have taken priority. Bob L
    So... thats how it is now. Lets hope that in the future will SAC support even this kind of drivers because apart from SAC issue the SERAPH card works flawlessly and considering its MuliCard support its very interesting card for my rig.
    Last edited by safa; 08-14-2012 at 06:33 AM.
    Safa (Prague, CZ) - http://www.soundman.cz/

Default Re: MARIAN drivers

My technology crystal ball says I wouldn't get too attached to this sort of interface technology. All of it will eventually be replaced with audio over ethernet. Although not quite ready for prime time (although there are working examples), its coming.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.