Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Horizontal zooming with ThinkPad x60

Quote Originally Posted by karagjoz View Post
    I think he is talking about horizontal zooming, not vertical.
    Oops. Boy, did I misread that one.

Soundguy

Keep the X60.
    On all new laptops you will be forced to work in Win7. Believe me, it is pain in the ..... with SawStudio.
    I demonstrated to my students SS as the most flexible and fast audio software, but they had many problems with the demo and Win7 - the audio buffers, the graphics, so they went to another programs - PT and Cubase.
    And today is very hard to find a new laptop with drivers for XP.

Keep the X60.
    On all new laptops you will be forced to work in Win7. Believe me, it is pain in the ..... with SawStudio.
    I demonstrated to my students SS as the most flexible and fast audio software, but they had many problems with the demo and Win7 - the audio buffers, the graphics, so they went to another programs - PT and Cubase.
    And today is very hard to find a new laptop with drivers for XP.
    Win 7 Home Premium here. With the OS tweaks and SS under XP compatibility mode, my DAW is very solid. This is a desktop not a laptop, though.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Maybe.
    In my case I had a lot of problems, finally switched back to XP.
    And, if I have to explain to the students about the tweaks and XP compatibility mode , the answer will be: XP compati.... WHAT??....
    People like to do simple things with the computer. If the system is just working, without asking me for many things, I'm happy. This is the reason people are buying macs.

Maybe.
    In my case I had a lot of problems, finally switched back to XP.
    And, if I have to explain to the students about the tweaks and XP compatibility mode , the answer will be: XP compati.... WHAT??....
    People like to do simple things with the computer. If the system is just working, without asking me for many things, I'm happy. This is the reason people are buying macs.
    I hear you. And it takes a bit more with each new OS. But there was a fair bit of tweaking under XP already, I think. It's a real time app on a chop shop OS.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Yeah.... that's one of the irritating things about using the x60 until I find something that works more smoothly/efficiently. That's been my "workaround".... but I don't really feel it's much of one.

On a desktop PC with standard keyboard, the whole thing is much easier.

Yeah, but that's true with just about everything and every application. Trying to work with just a touchpad is always going to be more time consuming for just about everything more complex than browsing the web and looking at email right?
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Yeah, but that's true with just about everything and every application. Trying to work with just a touchpad is always going to be more time consuming for just about everything more complex than browsing the web and looking at email right?
    You're probably correct.
    This, however, is not a touchpad.
    Still a PITA.

I'm having no trouble running SAC as a front side mixer with SAW hooked to it, recording up to 16 tracks at once with 2x64 buffer settings through an RME Multiface (or digiface). So, it'd be really great to be able to also edit and mix in SAW on this little laptop when the situation calls for it. (Well, maybe not with NO trouble, but pretty close!)
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 05-09-2012 at 08:55 PM.

You're probably correct.
    This, however, is not a touchpad.
    Still a PITA.

I'm having no trouble running SAC as a front side mixer with SAW hooked to it, recording up to 16 tracks at once with 2x64 buffer settings through an RME Multiface (or digiface). So, it'd be really great to be able to also edit and mix in SAW on this little laptop when the situation calls for it. (Well, maybe not with NO trouble, but pretty close!)
    Dan, wouldn't the added bulk and logistics of a USB or blue tooth mouse and pad be more than made up for by the advantages of the resulting work flow improvements?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Dan, wouldn't the added bulk and logistics of a USB or blue tooth mouse and pad be more than made up for by the advantages of the resulting work flow improvements?
    Maybe, just not always convenient in a real tight tabletop like I have to work on sometimes (think a folding stool to hold the Thinkpad ).

Maybe, just not always convenient in a real tight tabletop like I have to work on sometimes (think a folding stool to hold the Thinkpad ).
    Maybe a simple solution would be to put a board on top of the stool (beneath the laptop) that's wide enough to accommodate a mouse?

Or just get one of these...

Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts