Close

1. Default OT:Echoaudio AudioFire12

So this newer firewire version is using Cirrus Logic Converters and the division at Cirrus is headed up by Scott Anderson who was a Motorola dude back when in 1978. I would think that might bode well for the AudioFire12. Anyone using these with low latency in SAW in live modes? Using softsynths and such? How do you like it?

Default Re: OT:Echoaudio AudioFire12

Which core chipset is used may be less relevant to the "sound" of the converters than the quality and design of the associated electronics. The very same core chipset may be used in converters costing anywhere from $20 to $2000... and up. Also, from what I have heard in the past the tricky part in achieving low latency is how well the drivers are written.

I too would be interested to know how this "new kid on the block" compares in terms of latency.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary B. Cornett View Post
    Which core chipset is used may be less relevant to the "sound" of the converters than the quality and design of the associated electronics. The very same core chipset may be used in converters costing anywhere from $20 to $2000... and up. Also, from what I have heard in the past the tricky part in achieving low latency is how well the drivers are written.

I too would be interested to know how this "new kid on the block" compares in terms of latency.
    What Cary said. A friend of mine who makes his living designing, building, and selling audio gear says that the digital part is easy. Finding designers who know analog circuits is becoming very difficult. And of course, analog is half of any AD or DA.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

In the 'old days', Echo had problems with their drivers. Can't talk about today. But that is also something to think about. And that is a part of what keeps me buying RME.

5. Default Re: OT:Echoaudio AudioFire12

Doing some reading, the old school Echogals drivers is what Bill refers to. I get at least 3-64-3-128 with Layla24. They have posted on their website what chipset the cards use. They sell for $525 to $599 new. I'm unsure listening to Bob if the Microsoft 'patch' works for the 400-800 thing for firewire as well. How many tracks and the sound would be bottom line. I did some reading on sound on sound article for it when it first came out and they said it sounded really good. I think driver thing has been done better since too. I am wondering just due to Windows 7 and the future of audio if these things work as well as Layla24.

From site:
    AudioFire 8 - CS4272

AudioFire 12 (FireWire ports' beveled edges pointing down) - AK4620B<---maybe an earlier version since the 8 & 12 use same now?

AudioFire 12 (FireWire ports' beveled edges pointing up) - CS4272<---might appear to be newer version?
    Last edited by AcousticGlue; 10-14-2009 at 03:03 AM.

I'm not a guy who generally suggests waiting, but maybe, with the flux in OS, standards, cards, etc.... just maybe it is time not to make any move at all?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Park View Post
    In the 'old days', Echo had problems with their drivers. Can't talk about today. But that is also something to think about. And that is a part of what keeps me buying RME.
    Then things have changed. I have three of their interfaces: Layla24, Mia (not MiaMIDI), and Indigo.

My entire keyboard rig is purely VSTi-based using Brainspawn's Forte. My large rig uses either the Mia or Layla24, and laptop rig the Indigo. I have *never* had issues with their drivers, and consider them incredibly stable, even at 2x64. I recommend Echo Audio to everyone I know, especially *because* of their stable drivers.

In fact, Echo Audio has a new interface I'm about to post up to the list.
    Josh
    185 Performance, LLC
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by tartan View Post
    Then things have changed. I have three of their interfaces: Layla24, Mia (not MiaMIDI), and Indigo.

My entire keyboard rig is purely VSTi-based using Brainspawn's Forte. My large rig uses either the Mia or Layla24, and laptop rig the Indigo. I have *never* had issues with their drivers, and consider them incredibly stable, even at 2x64. I recommend Echo Audio to everyone I know, especially *because* of their stable drivers.

In fact, Echo Audio has a new interface I'm about to post up to the list.
    One caveat -- I only have experience with their PCI and Cardbus products.
    Josh
    185 Performance, LLC
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by tartan View Post
    ... I have *never* had issues with their drivers, and consider them incredibly stable, even at 2x64. I recommend Echo Audio to everyone I know, especially *because* of their stable drivers.
    The problem that we encountered was with a Layla, it was known by many people, including the folks at Echo. It created quite a problem at the time for a specific handful of users doing specific tasks and did not affect most users but it had to do with Layla not being in spec with their driver. I don't remember the details, because it was several years ago. The situation occurred in a large theater and brought an expensive production to a screeching halt while they searched for other answers. I know that the house sound guy was chewing on the ears of the guys at Echo to correct the problem. I was just there to run the console, it wan't my issue. But te driver did not conform to spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Park View Post
    The problem that we encountered was with a Layla, it was known by many people, including the folks at Echo. It created quite a problem at the time for a specific handful of users doing specific tasks and did not affect most users but it had to do with Layla not being in spec with their driver. I don't remember the details, because it was several years ago. The situation occurred in a large theater and brought an expensive production to a screeching halt while they searched for other answers. I know that the house sound guy was chewing on the ears of the guys at Echo to correct the problem. I was just there to run the console, it wan't my issue. But te driver did not conform to spec.
    Wow, I hope that was the original Layla (20-bit), not the Layla24.
    Josh
    185 Performance, LLC
    Atlanta, GA