Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: SAW forcing On Top status over other programs

Still looking into it... perhaps I'll have some fixes for the coming SAC update at least.

Bob L

I was JUST thinking about this yesterday!

DanT

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I was JUST thinking about this yesterday!
    Yeah, I don't want to be too pushy (I used up my pushy points a while ago, on the punch-in thing ) but I'm hoping for a fix soon. I don't know why it broke but when working long days with SAW and SAC (with SAC-link), totalmix and an explorer window or two open, this can get very frustrating.

I don't understand why some are experiencing this, and others aren't.

There are various 'Allow window to Steal Focus' flags all over Windows, hidden in the OS, and more pertinent, as part of graphics drivers. So I imagine that the differences will be down to what graphics cards people have and how they have set them up. Or what Registry tweaks they have, or Service Pack or security patches. Remember how IE used to let hundreds of windows pop up all over the place and steal focus. Now it doesn't happen, although I challenge you to click on your IE icon to launch and then work in another app while it's launching without IE trampling all over you. Firefox and Chrome (well, Iron) don't do this.

Dominic

We can always jump back to 4.X for the time being if it's really an issue (which is what I'm considering for the moment).... that is, unless 4.9 enhancements are needed.

DanT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Still looking into it... perhaps I'll have some fixes for the coming SAC update at least.
    Hello Bob!

Resurrecting this thread because having worked with SAWStudio64 on a clean install of Win7/64 recently, I was reminded of it as I was trying to pull up the RME applications: TotalMix and the RME settings window.

If I have SAW open in front of me and I go to the Windows taskbar and click on the RME settings icon, the window opens, but immediately pops behind SAWStudio's main program window. I then have to alt-tab to it or click on the taskbar to bring the RME window to the foreground.

This happens with all windows other than the SAWStudio window... Task manager, Notepad etc.

IIRC years ago you made some changes at one point, perhaps in response to comments about the Windows Taskbar/SAWStudio On-top behavior. SAWStudio's been forcing itself on-top of other windows ever since those changes.

Would it be possible to change it back to the way it worked before?

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Hello Bob!

Resurrecting this thread because having worked with SAWStudio64 on a clean install of Win7/64 recently, I was reminded of it as I was trying to pull up the RME applications: TotalMix and the RME settings window.

If I have SAW open in front of me and I go to the Windows taskbar and click on the RME settings icon, the window opens, but immediately pops behind SAWStudio's main program window. I then have to alt-tab to it or click on the taskbar to bring the RME window to the foreground.

This happens with all windows other than the SAWStudio window... Task manager, Notepad etc.

IIRC years ago you made some changes at one point, perhaps in response to comments about the Windows Taskbar/SAWStudio On-top behavior. SAWStudio's been forcing itself on-top of other windows ever since those changes.

Would it be possible to change it back to the way it worked before?
    I don't remember it having stopped forcing itself on top. Maybe it did for a while, but it's such a common thing to me to have to click on a programs icon in the taskbar multiple times to get it to come up on top of SAW, that I've stopped thinking about it. There's weirdness, still/too between SAW and SAC, when I first open and link them, but I've gotten used to it, so stopped thinking of it as a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I don't remember it having stopped forcing itself on top. Maybe it did for a while, but it's such a common thing to me to have to click on a programs icon in the taskbar multiple times to get it to come up on top of SAW, that I've stopped thinking about it. There's weirdness, still/too between SAW and SAC, when I first open and link them, but I've gotten used to it, so stopped thinking of it as a problem...
    Yes, I've noticed the same thing when using the SAW/SAC combo.

It's not stopped forcing itself on top in 10 years, but there once was a time when it didn't do so. If that makes sense.

If you read back in this old thread I dug up, there are comments about it 'having recently changed'. I may be able to find another thread where it's discussed or perhaps find it in the release notes if I look hard enough.

Since it was discussed in this thread and all parties were quite aware of it, I figured it was enough to raise the question again and get this back on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Yes, I've noticed the same thing when using the SAW/SAC combo.

It's not stopped forcing itself on top in 10 years, but there once was a time when it didn't do so. If that makes sense.

If you read back in this old thread I dug up, there are comments about it 'having recently changed'. I may be able to find another thread where it's discussed or perhaps find it in the release notes if I look hard enough.

Since it was discussed in this thread and all parties were quite aware of it, I figured it was enough to raise the question again and get this back on the radar.
    I do remember when it changed - I was the OP of this thread.

Blog Entries

Good day,

Here is my take on the situation: [Click_me]

All of these tests were performed using the available SAWStudio versions that I have, as well as being tested on three different systems - two with Windows 7 and one with Windows 10. All demonstrated the same end results.

And here is the summary:
    1. It would appear from the above tests then that the 32-bit versions 4.0c, 4.4, 5.0 and 5.1 had no issues - and therefore, functioned properly.
    2. 32-bit versions 5.4, 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8 all had the same identical anomaly as v4.9.
    3. All of the 64-bit versions had the same identical anomaly as v4.9.

I sincerely hope that this information will be of some practicable use to others.