Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: SAW forcing On Top status over other programs

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

Here is my take on the situation: [Click_me]

All of these tests were performed using the available SAWStudio versions that I have, as well as being tested on three different systems - two with Windows 7 and one with Windows 10. All demonstrated the same end results.

And here is the summary:
    1. It would appear from the above tests then that the 32-bit versions 4.0c, 4.4, 5.0 and 5.1 had no issues - and therefore, functioned properly.
    2. 32-bit versions 5.4, 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8 all had the same identical anomaly as v4.9.
    3. All of the 64-bit versions had the same identical anomaly as v4.9.

I sincerely hope that this information will be of some practicable use to others.
    I've used all 32 bit versions since I first got into SAW and then later on, SAC many years ago.
    I've also experienced the same issues (whenever I take notice of them) on first 3-4 different XP systems and at least as many Win7 systems (over the course of this time). I have updated/upgraded both SAW and SAC all along.

I don't know when, if at all, I'd have the time to go back and install/test every saved version I still have. There have been so many tweaks and enhancements over this time, what really seems relevant to me is what the current version (or maybe since 5.x) is doing. Maybe Bob will find this helpful, though.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I do remember when it changed - I was the OP of this thread.
    Of course you were! LOL

Well, yeah... I guess I didn't know how to interpret your comment:

I don't remember it having stopped forcing itself on top.
    In the context of my remarks, because I wasn't aware of it having stopped at any point either. Now, Dell's test seems to indicate it did... Perhaps not surprising, I remember discussions on the forum and misunderstandings about what people's real issues were at the time. Maybe MS Windows' own behavior changed along the way, or else the switch from XP to Win7... Who knows.

Now I understand what you were getting at.

There have been so many tweaks and enhancements over this time, what really seems relevant to me is what the current version (or maybe since 5.x) is doing.
    That's what seems relevant to me also.

IMO there was plenty of debate 10 years ago about whether this tweak should even happen at all. I'm hoping it's a simple matter of removing whatever was done at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    And here is the summary:
    1. It would appear from the above tests then that the 32-bit versions 4.0c, 4.4, 5.0 and 5.1 had no issues - and therefore, functioned properly.
    2. 32-bit versions 5.4, 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8 all had the same identical anomaly as v4.9.
    3. All of the 64-bit versions had the same identical anomaly as v4.9.
    I did a quick skim of the release notes and found mention of something relevant in 5.2, 5.0, 4.9a, 4.7 (maybe), 4.5 and 4.0b. (I think I started with v5.3)

Those release notes mention changes re: switching between applications or window focus etc. This may explain why some versions seem OK and others not.

The 4.0b is the change that concerns the Windows taskbar... (I think that's the one I'm remembering.)

It's a bit of a complex issue afterall.