Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Hourly crashes/reboots

A lot of time the computer that's scanning will remove a "miss" from it's list till the next iteration of the scan loop.... You'll know in a few days

not saying we've 100% found your problem but it's looking good.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Doesn't NOD32 antivirus checker go on line BY DEFAULT every 60 minutes?
    It needs services to do that and you have dectivated a needed service it may lock up the PC at that point. If the service requires replication or connection with a DNS and you don't have a connection, the platform may crash. (NOD32 can cause instability on platforms due to hogging resources and not releasing them correctly after NOD was closed down). You could try checking the default settings for NOD and if they are set at 60 minutes change it to 24 hours as a test.
    If that is the problem then a NOD update in the past has made the system unstable (which is why it worked previously and then suddenly the problem started).
    Personally if NOD is the culprit I wouldn't wast time trying to fix it. I would get rid of it
    I spent 12 weeks evaluating and testing this product and while its heuristic detection capability is brilliant I found it lacklustre in the way it latched system resources and could destabilize Windows XP platforms. I didn't test it on Windows 2000 but XP is more robust than 2000 and I could replicate the destabilization on 4 XP Professional client PCs. (3 desktops and 1 portable). When the application was first installed it worked flawlessly for 6 weeks of updates and then the problems began.

Quote Originally Posted by canipus
    Doesn't NOD32 antivirus checker go on line BY DEFAULT every 60 minutes?[snip]
    Thanks for the feedback, canipus, but NOD32 isn't the culprit. It runs on my business machine, not my DAW; I scan the DAW over the network. And the first thing I did when I got it was to change the default auto-update to every 8 hours. I've been using it for several months and have been quite happy with it. I had major problems with Norton and was annoyed by McAfee. NOD32 has been the most painless (if not the most intuitive) for me so far. Hopefully, I won't run into the problems you mentioned. What AV software do you use, BTW?

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Q; 12-21-2004 at 03:00 AM.
    Planet Earth is an incredible gift. It's our one and only home, yet we're slowly killing it and, in the process, killing ourselves. Think about the world you want your children to live in. Please think "preservation", not "plunder".

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Q
    1) the first thing I did when I got it was to change the default auto-update to every 8 hours.
    2) What AV software do you use, BTW?

Jay
    1) OK good news.
    2) For everyday work:
    Sonar and Sequoia (mostly Sequoia because of the object editing, sound quality and DDP)
    Still looking into SAW (slowly) for portable use

I think he meant AntiVirus software.

MM
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP
    I think he meant AntiVirus software.

MM
    My bad! I read it as Audio Visual s/w. sorry!
    Up most of the night working on a spreadsheet for MPEG multiangle bitrates.
    AV software is FProt. Used to be Norton. NOD32 hangs up MS Office applications - particularly screws up mail servers and SQL. My wife works for Fisher Scentific in IMS (she's also an MCSE and MCT) and NOD32 got slung out for this. Similar problem to what I got here on the home network.

Kaspersky Antivirus was our best guard... until I found Acronis TI.
    Since I not use any AV soft. If my machine reveals any hint of malfunction I mown off my system by formatting, and in the 10 min. restore it anew btw.
    George Oran'sky

Quote Originally Posted by canipus
    NOD32 hangs up MS Office applications - particularly screws up mail servers and SQL.
    Man, either I was lucky or you guys were unlucky; I didn't experience any problems at all on a machine running those things (minus the mail server). There must be sometihng about our specific configurations that explains this. My biz machine was running Win2k, Office 2k, SQL, and a host of other apps (I say "was" cuz that hard drive recently bit the dust and I'm in the process of building my new system). I like how fast it scans, and it scanned mail/attachments so fast, I thought it wasn't working at first. The new system is gonna have XP and Office 2003, so we'll see if my results change.

Jay
    Planet Earth is an incredible gift. It's our one and only home, yet we're slowly killing it and, in the process, killing ourselves. Think about the world you want your children to live in. Please think "preservation", not "plunder".

Jay,

I gotta say, I'm lovin' the funky cat! (Reminds me of a Green Bay Packer! )

Christmas blessings,
    John Hernandez
    Blazing Hammer Productions
    --
    "Is not My word like fire? And like a hammer which shatters a rock?" - Jeremiah 23:29

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Q
    Man, either I was lucky or you guys were unlucky; I didn't experience any problems at all on a machine running those things (minus the mail server). There must be sometihng about our specific configurations that explains this. My biz machine was running Win2k, Office 2k, SQL, and a host of other apps (I say "was" cuz that hard drive recently bit the dust and I'm in the process of building my new system). I like how fast it scans, and it scanned mail/attachments so fast, I thought it wasn't working at first. The new system is gonna have XP and Office 2003, so we'll see if my results change.

Jay
    The main problems with mail have been on W2K platforms. My problems here at home were all on XP platforms. My son is using NOD on his PC in the UK and has absolutely no problems at all. It appears to be interacting badly with specific services configurations and no one (including NOD), know what it is.