Close

1. Default Performance Testing...

Ok... Got the input working and everything seems fine.

Now: Took an sm57 and threw it in front of the stereo speaker feeding line one (yes I know, very controlled, high tech and scientific).

1x64

Selected that input as source for 24 input channels in SAC.
    Engaged EQ (each freq off center), gate, compressors on each channel.
    Engaged fx SAC echo/delay and SAC EQ (each freq off center) again on channels 1-8 (Demo).

Selected all of these to output to outs 1-8.

Monitors: (same as FOH except no fx)

Set up 5 monitor mixes (each channel again pulled from input one)
    Engaged EQ, gate and compressors on each channel once again.
    No fx in monitors.

Computer running 93 - 97% with zero buffers in or out.

I would never use all of this or run this at this high. Admittedly I did get a couple of dropped buffers when I opened Sonar just to see what happened, but don't think that really counts.

How does this compare with you guys, good, bad, so so.

Thanks,

Jamie
    Last edited by Guitarkeys.com; 11-27-2009 at 01:28 PM.

2. Default Re: Performance Testing...

I prefer to only setup mon mixer 1 as source and then mon2-24 are tapped from mon 1 (src split M for example). This will greatly reduce the load. Also, I'd run 2x64 instead of 1x64 as it's been suggested to be a safer route giving you an extra buffer in the event that something in windows steps on one of the buffers.

Default Re: Performance Testing...

No need to engage eq and comps on all monitor mixers... use the pst eq or pst dyn tap point... that will save lots of cpu and if someone wants a slight different eq, add a band or two to tweak... but this still saves you from having to use all bands over and over again on all chans on all mixers.

So... with that setup... sounds like you machine has more than enough guts to get the real job done.

Bob L

4. Default Re: Performance Testing...

Exactly...

Call it a test drive. Take it out and run the !#$%@ out of it doing more than you would ever need. If you can't break it - buy it.

I will say I ran it like that (computer hitting 94-97%) for over 8 hrs with no dropped buffers. It did raise my chip temp 10 degrees Celsius, but the water cooling system has always kept things nice and cool.

Now it's time to figure routing in virtual land. Will take some getting use to, but I promise I will not miss the cables.

Jamie