Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Re: More Latency...SMAART measurements

Make sure performance settings in windows has been changed from 'Applications' to 'Background tasks'.

Default Re: More Latency...SMAART measurements

Quote Originally Posted by hclague View Post
    "(other than the complexity of the testing equipment)". This could also account for the difference ( not apples to apples )
    I'd accept a small margin of error on that point, and my wav files are published for analysis, but that's almost a 15% difference, which is statistically significant.

The results will be interesting, to say the least.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

3. Default Re: More Latency...SMAART measurements

Update.

I turned off the HDSP mixer last night, and re-measured. There was no change in latency. This makes sense to me since I don't believe I was running anything through the HDSP mixer. It looks like all the latency is derived by the Buffer settings and ADA8K ( or Saphire Pro and/or DCX ).

I tried to switch to 88.2k sample rate but SAC would not open and gave me an error pop up. Probably because the interfaces can't do that sample rate?

Hal

I've found on my rackmount rig with HDSPe RayDAT that the system will not pass audio until I've started TotalMix.

The almost 8ms of latency from Pic 2 (Raydat thru ADA8000) may be a deal breaker when combined with Digital drums (seeing that they are adding several ms of their own). As I stated in another thread...my drummer can still hear lthe latency at 2x64 though he admitted it's much better.

I will be playing at a local club this Saturday...with Digital drums and with SAC. I'm going to split his Drum feed so that he is not having to deal with the 8ms+ that SAC is adding. My main concern is the delay coming out of FOH: will it be noticable? I'll let you know.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

I am not so sure the numbers and tests are perfectly accurate... but...

Trust that any latency coming out floor wedges or FOH is just not an issue... any speaker on the floor or in the air is already generally more than 10 ft away and already adding 10ms or more of latency and no one has ever complained... you can see we are doing major shows and events on a daily basis with no conversation concerning latency... and to be honest, no issues with any in-ear performers... drummers and vocalists included.

So... I suggest to get out of your over-thinking and testing mode and simply patch it in and use it and listen and enjoy... the ride is quite thrilling.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsco View Post
    The almost 8ms of latency from Pic 2 (Raydat thru ADA8000) may be a deal breaker when combined with Digital drums (seeing that they are adding several ms of their own). As I stated in another thread...my drummer can still hear lthe latency at 2x64 though he admitted it's much better.

I will be playing at a local club this Saturday...with Digital drums and with SAC. I'm going to split his Drum feed so that he is not having to deal with the 8ms+ that SAC is adding. My main concern is the delay coming out of FOH: will it be noticable? I'll let you know.
    We use ears and a Roland TD-6 on a frequent basis with no complaints from guest drummers.

As far as front of house goes there are some engineers that delay the FOH (induced latency) to move the speakers back to the plane of the backline. Latency in the FOH only has the effect of moving the stacks back by roughly one foot per millisecond.

Try rerunning the test with your generator source hard wired to the reference input, that will take the analog desk out of the equation.

kui

Quote Originally Posted by Wink0r View Post
    As far as front of house goes there are some engineers that delay the FOH (induced latency) to move the speakers back to the plane of the backline. Latency in the FOH only has the effect of moving the stacks back by roughly one foot per millisecond.
    I do this all the time. This helps drummers a lot especially on smaller stages with keeping the bass guitar amp and drums in time alignment with the house stacks. When I get this right the drummer will not need to much low end in the
    monitor as the house subs will give him a nice thump. In some cases if I have a low end problem on the stage and moving the house subs is not an option I can put on delay to help with the hump on stage. I use delay and phase frequently on monitor wedges to correct the hot spots of feedback.

Since I have been using SAC I just love the control I have on the monitor mixes. I can get loud and clear monitors with great sound. Something that takes a lot of outboard tricks to get working on my analogue monitor boards. I don't miss those outboard racks one bit.

OGO
    OGO
    SAC Configuration:
    ASUS P5Q-E Intel E8400 Over clocked to 3.4GHZ 4MB RAM 2 RME Digiface with PCI Card 6 ADA800
    Ruberfilter, Tapeit, Studio Reverb
    Running up to 48 channels and 12 monitors
    with 60%-70% CPU Flawless and sounding amazing.
    Glad to leave that big outboard rack in the warehouse!!