Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob

Default Bob

Bob,

I'm building a new SS machine.
    Can you give me your latest recomendation on what to use "CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Processor"!!!

Thanks
    Graham

Default Re: Bob

Not much has changed for me in that dept recently.

I still look for Asus motherboards... the P5Q series has been holding pretty well for the last 3 months or so... still available.

I have recently been using the E8400 (or similar) intel cpu... they have been very stable and fast... 2 - 4 gigs of ram... Win XP 32 or 64 if your soundcards have drivers for it.

Bob L

How sad is it that the OS recommended is over 8 years old? In the world of computers, that is a very long time. I know..... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

For those needing to purchase XP, NewEgg still carries the 32-bit OEM Home & Pro Editions. And Buy.com (thru Amazon) has the OEM 64-bit versions of Home & Pro in stock.

Is'nt XP shareware now ???? LMAO

Get windows 7 it's just like XP !

LAter
    Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz View Post

Get a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebuzz View Post

LAter
    Buzz
    What's the one-paragraph-blurb status of Windows 7? Is it out? Is Vista behind us?

Do we like Windows 7?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I know a couple guys who are using Windows 7 and they have absolutely no complaints. One guy raves about it. Says it's screaming fast, and very stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stebbeds View Post
    Get a Mac.
    Prior to making a complete switch over to Mac & Pro Tools I was running SAW & SAC on my MacPro (Intel) on BootCamp and they ran awesome! I know Mac costs more then PC but IMO they are worth ever penny. Plus I highly reccommend the Applecare plan.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by soundtrack2life View Post
    Prior to making a complete switch over to Mac & Pro Tools I was running SAW & SAC on my MacPro (Intel) on BootCamp and they ran awesome! I know Mac costs more then PC but IMO they are worth ever penny. Plus I highly reccommend the Applecare plan.
    Joe
    I guess when you are running Windows on an Intel Mac you would still be at the mercy of the Windows OS, but the build quality of the Mac hardware is awesome, as is the ease of adding RAM and hardrives. Just open the side door and slide another one in and latch it.

I second the recommendation of Applecare, which not only extends your hardware guarantee for a total of three years, but includes unlimited free phone support from Apple for that time. That was very helpful to me, being a Windows guy new to the Mac OS environment.

The only problem I had was with a hard drive ...not so uncommon ....and they replaced it immediately.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Stebbeds; 12-02-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Why would someone want to buy a Mac to run PC Apps?
    It's just an over priced computer that a person running Saw doesn't need.
    Unless the person was planning on running Pro Tools or other Mac programs it would just be a waste of money.
    They'd be better off buying a mic pre or something else with the extra money they would save by buying a PC instead of a Mac.
    I built my present machine - (Pentium 4 (3.2) with Windows XP Pro) in 2005 and it has been rock solid for nearly 5 years.

One thing I've noticed is that I used to have to build a new computer every 2 years just to keep up with all the speed needed to run the latest software.
    It's not that way anymore.
    There are lots of people out there using computers that are 7 years old and still getting their work done every day without any problems.

I guess I'll get the bug to build a new computer sometime in the future but there's no need to rush just yet.