Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Headphone Monitoring Live

Just curious. What would be the settings (Both SAC and LynxL22 Soundcard) for monitoring **input** live of "1" vocal mic live while performing all else as normal through SAC? (I personally prefer not to have the 1.45ms - 2.90ms delay in my headphones)

And, secondarily, how would this be done through an Aurora-16, or an RME?

(I like my analog mic pre/board in but interested in the prospects of SAC replacing the board as much as possible)
    Last edited by Carl G.; 12-12-2009 at 08:08 AM.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Default Re: Headphone Monitoring Live

If you can get yourself past the latency reality... SAC offers amazing monitoring capabilities... just like working on a large Neve, SSL, or Midas... etc console.

If you cling to the idea that the latency is a problem, then you are subject to the limitations of your favorite analog console.

For me... the latency is a no-conversation anymore... and this allows me to have the capabilities... and beyond... of the largest... most expensive console I could imagine owning.

You can monitor direct from any of the 25 mixing consoles in the system, or monitor from the solo bus and chase the monitor across any combination of channels of any mixer... or listen to and chase the master outs of any of the 25 mixers also.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    If you can get yourself past the latency reality... SAC offers amazing monitoring capabilities... just like working on a large Neve, SSL, or Midas... etc console.

If you cling to the idea that the latency is a problem, then you are subject to the limitations of your favorite analog console.

For me... the latency is a no-conversation anymore...
    Bob L
    SAC is great! A few MS delay with other audio is near imperceptable (perfect for me).

For me, hearing latency delay in my headphones while talking is like patching the Delay plugin at 100% mix - a tough one for me to 'get past'... so was looking for some muting or routing scheme that would allow me to monitor just my mic channel live - zero latency. It seems this kinda boils down to a soundcard ADDA latency limitation.... right?

If I were tracking other people - SAC would be a dream!
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

You might find that if you set the headphones to the right volume... a little bit stronger... you get to a comfortable point where you drown out your acoustic sense of your voice and you can fit nicely in the mix with the latency not as noticable.

You also might find that for single voice work like you do... you can easily run the system stable at 1 x 32 and that latency is pretty much completely imperceptable.

Bob L

You might find that if you set the headphones to the right volume... a little bit stronger... you get to a comfortable point where you drown out your acoustic sense of your voice and you can fit nicely in the mix with the latency not as noticable.

You also might find that for single voice work like you do... you can easily run the system stable at 1 x 32 and that latency is pretty much completely imperceptable.

Bob L
    I'll give it a whirl.
    I've been running SawStudio with Out Preloads of 4, In Preloads of 6, and buffering at 512.... because most all the production I do is like your style - pinpointed static automation (after ballpark default levels are setup).

So my big question now is: can I set different ASIO Buffer size setups simultaneously with SAC and SawStudio on the same machine?
    And/Or... can I just set different **preload in/out*** sized simultaneously between SAC/SawStudio.
    Currently with the Sac Demo, I have to set all ASIO parameters inside SawStudio because it's greyed out in SAC.... applying the same ASIO parameters to both.
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

Bob L
    (please see other post too)

How do I get the Link to SawStudio working with the SAC Demo
    (need to see if what *in/out* Preloads I need in SawStudio to get it to work with my production needs with buffers at 32)
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

I would suggest using buffers at 1 x 64 or 2 x 64... in SS or SAC.

If you use SAC... it does the low latency and the settings in SS are bypassed when the link is active.

4 x 512... no wonder you hear latency.

Bob L

I would suggest using buffers at 1 x 64 or 2 x 64... in SS or SAC.

If you use SAC... it does the low latency and the settings in SS are bypassed when the link is active.

4 x 512... no wonder you hear latency.

Bob L
    I tried it at 1x32 (as you earlier suggested - and like that the best).
    Impressive and FUN to work the console. (Still a small phase shift) but acceptable at that setting considering all the console has to offer! However, my machine/setup needs more tweaking for stability with plugins at that setting. Still experimenting on the best functionality.
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

You should realize that your SAW needs no tweaking when linked to SAC for plugin usage... the plugs will generally be part of the SAW mixing experience... SAC handles the live latency during recording.

SAW by itself might not work for you and your plugins at 1 x 32... but SAW is actually running at 4 x 1024 when linked to SAC.

Bob L

You should realize that your SAW needs no tweaking when linked to SAC for plugin usage... the plugs will generally be part of the SAW mixing experience... SAC handles the live latency during recording.

SAW by itself might not work for you and your plugins at 1 x 32... but SAW is actually running at 4 x 1024 when linked to SAC.

Bob L
    Hmmmmmmm.... that's something I didn't know.
    So if I always ran them together, Saw would stay at 4x1024 during recording and playback?

Now, for recording in SAC, if I can just arrange my system's stability at 1x32.

I'd like to experiment with them linked - but haven't yet discovered how.
    Last edited by Carl G.; 12-18-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: clarification
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com