Close

Default SAC on Ubuntu Studio?

I have read the thread where Robert Randolph had SAW running nicely on Ubuntu Studio and interacting well with Ardour. I was wondering if there is any more progress? Are you still using this Ubuntu Studio config?

Have you gotten SAC to run soooothly on it?

Thanks for your help by posting your SAW config.
    http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...read.php?t=898

Just wondering if further progress was found since no posts on that thread since 10-23-2007

Thanks

Chris
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Default Re: SAC on Ubuntu Studio?

From the posts I read seemed more like to me that Robert had SAWStudio working ok via WINE on Ubuntu and other Linux distros but that performance was definitely compromised in comparison to running the same session on the same hardware using WinXP - with him reporting slower screen redraws, and I imagine also (but would like to hear from Robert regarding this first) that it's buffers needed to be set longer and track and plugin count diminished when using Linux , and that performance was definitely less stable on Linux as well. Main thing is that from his posts seems you need to have a good bit of experience with Linux to get this working, and that lots of setup tweaks and (even some code hacks) are necessary to get things running ok.

I'd say most likely putting additional layers of emulation at the OS level while trying to run an app that needs to be critically as real time and stable as SAC - and that was never designed with Linux/WINE compatibility in mind at all - seems like the proverbial "shooting yourself in the foot" to me.

Not having tried it myself I can't speak authoritatively on this though - but again - adding additional cludge at the OS level is not going to help your SAC performance. Been thinking of picking up an Ubuntu laptop to run apps like Rosegarden (Linux based MIDI scoring and sequencing app) and do internet surfing from the likes of a turnkey operation like http://www.system76.com though.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Last edited by TotalSonic; 12-14-2009 at 01:52 PM.

I managed to get SAC to run in Ubuntu and Fedora, both under WINE. ..Just for fun. Completely unusable thou. Screen refresh is horrible and stability is basically non-existant. I even ran SAC on WINE inside Ubuntu running inside Virtualbox on Win7.... what a fun way to waste time
    SAC running native on Linux could be a nice prospect, maybe on Slackware or some other flavor of minimal/stripped linux distro. ...could have killer performance, but would be a support and development nightmare i guess.

Points taken.

Thanks guys

Chris

It works... but it's just a proof of concept.

No matter what happens, you're still running through layers of windows nonsense
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Thanks Robert:

I had hoped by this time there was more stability, speed and that redraw issues were a thing of the past. I thought a Linux type flavor could at some time be a nice stable platform for a SAC system.

Sorry it sounds as it did not meet your needs either.

Thanks for stopping what could have been a great waste of time and effort.

Chris