Close

Default Wireless software for SAC use?

I've just picked up a netbook with 11.6" screen and 1366 x 768 resolution to use as an SAC remote.....

I'm sure this has been discussed before and I tried doing a search, but...
    Will I have an issue using the standard built in Windows wireless connection software? I'm thinking that I read it drops out every 10 minutes or something? I downloaded Avanquest's connection manager but it doesn't seem to want to play nice with the wireless network here at home, whereas the Windows one is running flawlessly.....

I want to avoid having problems when I take this out with the SAC rig, so any advice would be appreciated. My other laptop for SAC remote is running D-Link software that came with the wireless N card.

Ta....
    Steven.
    www.diablosoundhire.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    SAC Host: Rack mount PC with Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo, RME HDSP9652 soundcard. 3 x M-Audio Profire 2626 preamps. Main SAC Remote: Toshiba Tecra laptop with Intel T7600 Core 2 Duo CPU (Doubles up for use as back up host via FW to Profire).
    3 x CM Labs Motor Mix control surfaces.
    SAC Wireless 'wander the room / stage' Remote: Asus EeePC HA1101 Netbook.

2. Default Re: Wireless software for SAC use?

What is the Mfg. of the Wireless card in your new notebook?

-Jonni Ji

Default Re: Wireless software for SAC use?

Atheros AR9285
    Steven.
    www.diablosoundhire.com
    SAC Host: Rack mount PC with Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo, RME HDSP9652 soundcard. 3 x M-Audio Profire 2626 preamps. Main SAC Remote: Toshiba Tecra laptop with Intel T7600 Core 2 Duo CPU (Doubles up for use as back up host via FW to Profire).

Well... my 11.6 Asus Eee PC with its wireless n built-in seems to be doing fine using the Windows wireless... no dropouts yet after the 10 min mark... although... this is the first system I have had this result with.

My other remotes have ben forced to use a third party wireless manager utility with the Windows Zero Config service disabled.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Well... my 11.6 Asus Eee PC with its wireless n built-in seems to be doing fine using the Windows wireless... no dropouts yet after the 10 min mark... although... this is the first system I have had this result with.

My other remotes have ben forced to use a third party wireless manager utility with the Windows Zero Config service disabled.

Bob L

I never saw the predictable 10 min good then drop, but I did eventually have problems and I have seen more stable performance overall with the Avanquest Connection Manager.

I couldn't get the avanquest app to play nicely here and have been using windows built in. It seems that connecting to and then manually disconnecting from other wireless networks it finds tames it so it stops dropping your intended connection in favor of stronger/alternate ones it sees...or maybe it likes me
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

Thanks folks...

Bob, it's an Asus EeePC HA1101 with wireless N, so it's good to hear that you're not having problems with it; I'll press it into service and keep my fingers crossed that it behaves using the Windows utility. The avanquest software just seemed to constantly drop the connection.

I can't believe how many channels I can fit on the F mixer screen on such a tiny netbook!
    Steven.
    www.diablosoundhire.com

I used to have the dreaded 10min problem with a Dell laptop from work and LinkSys wireless router at home. Spent a lot of time tinkering with settings on both laptop and router to no avail. Very frustrating. Didn't use wireless much for a long time and then just for fun uploaded some opensource firmware to the router. Problem went away, so it was apparently something between the original router firmware and the laptop. Just to illustrate that a problem in the connection may very well be caused at the other end, so try different routers or firmwares if you experience problems.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

9. Default Re: Wireless software for SAC use?

I'm using the d-link driver on the host. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron. I didn't install any new software on the laptop and haven't had any problems of it dropping the signal. I've let it run all night for testing purposes and no problems. Knock on wood...

It's not on my SAC network, but here on my home network, the addition of my Brother-in-law's Dell notebook has started causing issues for my Toshiba laptop, even with Avanquest running. When his is up I get 10 minute drops, with it off I can run all day. Have to check if his is set for infrastructure only or if it's also looking for ad-hoc networks and jacking things up that way.