Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ADA8000 issues

1. Default Re: ADA8000 issues

my guess would be that there's only one way to find out...though if you were going to do it make sure the primary voltage (going into the stepdown xformer) is regulated or UPS'd...

dropping the voltage is one thing....100v is typically within spec for most stuff(barely)

below that, chaos, cats & dogs living together......MASS HYSTIERIA!!!

then there's the Staypuft Marshmallow Man.......don't cross the streams!!!
    intel e8400, intel dg41ty mobo, 4gigs Corsair ddr2 800 ram, rme digi9652, 3x ada8000

Question Re: ADA8000 issues

I just ordered a VC300J last night. Two more quick Qs came to mind immediately after clicking the "Place Your Order" button.

Assuming there is no UPS nor voltage regulator in the chain:

1. What happens when the original line voltage is 110V, rather than 120V? Does the transformer step down the voltage to the "usual" 100V, or is there a "linear" 20V drop, thus, to 90V?

2. What happens when the line voltage drops below 100V? Does the transformer then step UP to 100V, or does no conversion take place at all?

Sorry, my electrical knowledge is basic at best; hence, these Qs.

TIA for making things clearer.

Best regards,
    Míke È. Déè

Default Re: ADA8000 issues

Transformers work on a percentage basis governed by the ratio of the input and output windings. The output of a step down transformer will always be a given percentage within the working power range of the transformer.

This has been a real problem with power amps and low voltage until the advent of the current crop of digital amps with switching supplies. The power relationship that governs output power available to the speakers in voltage squared divided by the impedance of the system. The impedance for a given frequency remains the same so a drop in input voltage results in a greater drop in the output power available.

4. Default Re: ADA8000 issues

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    I just ordered a VC300J last night. Two more quick Qs came to mind immediately after clicking the "Place Your Order" button.

Assuming there is no UPS nor voltage regulator in the chain:

1. What happens when the original line voltage is 110V, rather than 120V? Does the transformer step down the voltage to the "usual" 100V, or is there a "linear" 20V drop, thus, to 90V?

2. What happens when the line voltage drops below 100V? Does the transformer then step UP to 100V, or does no conversion take place at all?

Sorry, my electrical knowledge is basic at best; hence, these Qs.

TIA for making things clearer.

Best regards,
    With standard 120V input, the output is ~ 100V. That is a 17% drop in voltage soooo if input drops to 110V the output would be 100 * (1 - 17%) or about 91 volts. Not to worry though, the regulators in the ADA8000 would allow it to operate all the way down to about 65 volts input (that's a ballpark considering the normal output of the primary coil at 120V input and the input voltages to the power supply regulators). Input voltage to the converter would have to drop below 80 volts for this to happen (not likely).

5. Default Re: ADA8000 issues

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    With standard 120V input, the output is ~ 100V. That is a 17% drop in voltage soooo if input drops to 110V the output would be 100 * (1 - 17%) or about 91 volts. Not to worry though, the regulators in the ADA8000 would allow it to operate all the way down to about 65 volts input (that's a ballpark considering the normal output of the primary coil at 120V input and the input voltages to the power supply regulators). Input voltage to the converter would have to drop below 80 volts for this to happen (not likely).
    We experienced some buzzing/humming from our ADA8000 units when the input voltage dipped to what I think was about mid 80 volts.

Thumbs up Re: ADA8000 issues

Thank you...this was a gøød sanity check.

I should be fine, since the transformer will plug directly into an APC Back-UPS ES 750.

Best regards,
    Míke È. Déè