Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Wireless issues / SAC remote lock-ups

Looking for some help from some of the more wireless network savvy folks on the forum....

I have a particular venue I install a hire system into every few weeks and I always seem to run into problems with the remote running wireless. Last night's scenario, I set up the remote (Asus netbook HA1101 running wireless N) and connected to the SAC host straight away, but I did notice that meters on the mixer were a bit jittery. Sound checked without any issues but strangely just after finishing SC, SAC remote locked up and had to be stopped from Task Manager. I restarted SAC remote and recalled the mix session with no issues. The gig went fine, but I always felt a bit wary that the remote was going to stall on me mid-set.

When I run out a Cat 5 and do a wired network, there's never any problem, but it's a PITA venue to run any form of cabling out to the FOH position, so I'd really like to get the wireless thing stable.....

I use my wireless setup all the time and this seems to be the only venue (so far) that has given any problems. When I check up on the wireless networks that are in the vicinity, there are lots, and I think that maybe some kind of cross-talk may be at play here.

The router i'm using is a D-Link DIR655 wireless N, with port 1 on the router hardwired to the SAC host machine. I think I have WPA enabled.... I've read elsewhere on the forum about maybe changing channels on the router, but am pretty clueless as to how best to go about it, so if anyone can chime in with some tips i'd be very grateful.
    Steven.
    www.diablosoundhire.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    SAC Host: Rack mount PC with Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo, RME HDSP9652 soundcard. 3 x M-Audio Profire 2626 preamps. Main SAC Remote: Toshiba Tecra laptop with Intel T7600 Core 2 Duo CPU (Doubles up for use as back up host via FW to Profire).
    3 x CM Labs Motor Mix control surfaces.
    SAC Wireless 'wander the room / stage' Remote: Asus EeePC HA1101 Netbook.

Default Re: Wireless issues / SAC remote lock-ups

Make sure you don't have WEP enabled. You can protect the wifi with MAC filtering if you wish.

3. Default Re: Wireless issues / SAC remote lock-ups

Something else you might want to consider doing is using a wireless bridge to link your FOH position to your SAC host.

Using something like this Linksys WET610N, you should end up with a much more stable link as it will have better TX and RX antennas than the ones on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by sjpaul View Post
    The router i'm using is a D-Link DIR655 wireless N, with port 1 on the router hardwired to the SAC host machine. I think I have WPA enabled.... I've read elsewhere on the forum about maybe changing channels on the router, but am pretty clueless as to how best to go about it, so if anyone can chime in with some tips i'd be very grateful.
    I have the same router. If you want to try a different channel - 1, 6 and 11 are the recommended ones - open your browser while your computer is wired to your router and go to address http://192.168.0.1/. You'll see Admin pages and Settings and others, and you'll see where to change the channel. You can also do MAC Filtering from there.

Ira
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Before you change channels, download inSSIDer and scan for local networks. Look at where the other networks are and pick a channel that doesn't have much competition. 1, 6, & 11 are often recommended but I've also found some of the mid-points to work so the main body of my own network spectrum isn't overlapping with neighboring networks.

Quote Originally Posted by gdougherty View Post
    Before you change channels, download inSSIDer and scan for local networks. Look at where the other networks are and pick a channel that doesn't have much competition. 1, 6, & 11 are often recommended but I've also found some of the mid-points to work so the main body of my own network spectrum isn't overlapping with neighboring networks.
    Does inSSIDer serve the same function as NetStumbler? I've downloaded NetStumbler but haven't used it yet.

Thanks for the tip,
    Ira
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Does inSSIDer serve the same function as NetStumbler? I've downloaded NetStumbler but haven't used it yet.

Thanks for the tip,
    Ira
    Yes, can't recall why, but there was a good reason I switched to inSSIDer over NetStumbler. Either one will work, both are free IIRC.

Many thanks folks. I have turned off encryption and have manually selected a channel. I'll donload inSSIDer and run it in the venue next time to see what's going on - hopefully this may be a solution.
    Steven.
    www.diablosoundhire.com
    SAC Host: Rack mount PC with Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo, RME HDSP9652 soundcard. 3 x M-Audio Profire 2626 preamps. Main SAC Remote: Toshiba Tecra laptop with Intel T7600 Core 2 Duo CPU (Doubles up for use as back up host via FW to Profire).

.... just revisiting this thread with an update.....

Last night was the first time I'va had a chance recently to use my SAC rig in this problematic venue. I ran FOH wireless from my netbook and had no issues during sound check, but in between sound check and doors, I decided to move some channel positions around on the remote and got it to lock up on me. It was definately a network issue, as the browser I had open for BrowseAmp also lost its' connection.

I ran inSSIDer and found that there were a load of networks showing up, most based on channels 1 and 6, with only 1 showing on channel 11, so I manually set the router to channel 11. This appears to have stabilised things well and I didn't have any further issues throughout the show.
    Steven.
    www.diablosoundhire.com

Why not use a channel that no one is using at all. Seems to me that would be the best bet. Or is 1,6, and 11 the only options for Wireless N?

Another suggestion, if you work at this venue often enough, why not just ask if you could run a few pieces of CAT 5 or 6 to FOH and then leave them there. It won't cost that much and save you a ton of hassle, at least in my opinion anyway.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/