Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sac on a mac?

Default Re: sac on a mac?

FYI, my wifes one year old imac gives me far more trouble than my Sony laptop or my home built audio machines. I thought I was going to be a mac fan until I owned one. My Linux machines have proven the most reliable of all but I don't do audio on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogmeister View Post
    I am a MAC shop and most of my audio testing software is based in this domain.
    I use MAC because the best software was on this platform.
    That being said, I would have never considered BOBs audio console if it were not maliciously coded as he does.
    I hope you meant "maticulously coded"...
    Bruce Veneziani
    BoomStick Productions
    https://www.facebook.com/boomstickproductions

SAC HOST: P4 3.6 gHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 gb HD, , RayDAT, 4U PC case

REMOTE: HP Pavillion DV7-1135nr (17" WS 1440x900)

4 ADA8000, 100v Step-Down Transformer, Netgear N600

Quote Originally Posted by venez03 View Post
    I hope you meant "maticulously coded"...
    Meticulously, really, but who's counting?

Yes that is what I meant.
    Sorry for the spelling error.
    OGO
    SAC Configuration:
    ASUS P5Q-E Intel E8400 Over clocked to 3.4GHZ 4MB RAM 2 RME Digiface with PCI Card 6 ADA800
    Ruberfilter, Tapeit, Studio Reverb
    Running up to 48 channels and 12 monitors
    with 60%-70% CPU Flawless and sounding amazing.
    Glad to leave that big outboard rack in the warehouse!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    FYI, my wifes one year old imac gives me far more trouble than my Sony laptop or my home built audio machines. I thought I was going to be a mac fan until I owned one. My Linux machines have proven the most reliable of all but I don't do audio on them.
    I agree, especially from the hardware perspective. If the Mac is supposed to be so much more reliable then why does everyone tell me (this is from my Mac user friends mind you) that I need to buy Apple Care? I've found out, that it's because you're very likely to need it. And unless you have a Mac Pro they are no fun to try and fix yourself.

At this point in time I would just buy the platform you need to run the software you wish to run. Unless you only need Windows once in a while for some software you only occasionally use, I would just buy an honest to goodness Windows PC and you're likely to be better off. And it'll likely be cheaper than the Mac to boot.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

In his defense, Bob does create some really mean code
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

7. Default Re: sac on a mac?

for me the most important aspect of reliability is the absence of malfunction during operation. in other words, an audio computer system should never fail during a performance. since most pro-musicians that I know of use MAC systems for their own live setups (synths, etc.) I thought about going that route. this combines with lot's of firewire related problems on the pc platform that I heard of. (shame about the chip change that RBingraham talks about). from what you say, it seems that macs running windows would'nt be more reliable than pc's. I'll continue checking before I decide, but it's good to know that SAC operation on mac is at least possible.

By the way, I think that for an average band mix and a little bit beyond that, processing power is important primarily for acheiving low buffers and not for the actual mix. The more I learn to mix the less plug-ins I use.

8. Default Re: sac on a mac?

As long as you keep your Windows install stripped down and only used for SAC purposes, you shouldn't be worried. The reliability of Mac or a PC hardware is now up to your choice of what you purchase. As stated in previous threads, you can build a very fast and robust PC for a lot less than a Mac.

With regards to buffers ; low buffers = low latency and really has nothing to do with plugins. If the band will be using IEMs, then you'll want to keep the latency down as low as you can.

To my mind it's a fairly simple solution really. Pick the software you wish to run. Then buy the platform that it will run best on. It will save you a lot of hassle and jumping through hoops in the long run. At least in my experience and opinion anyway.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/