Close

Default Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 with SAC?

I've got a friend who wants to use the new Presonus mixer in his rig. I need several monitor mixes of the signals going into the Presonus mixer. It has a firewire output, supposedly with ASIO drivers.

Wondering if anyone has tried using this with SAC, and if so, how was the latency?

Also, a quick perusal of the signal flow diagram seems to indicate that I can't route any of its firewire output returns directly to aux outputs, so I'll need to use a totally different interface for outputs. Will SAC even allow two different ASIO devices to be used at the same time, one for input and the other for output?

Bob

Default Re: Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 with SAC?

No... with ASIO... only one driver can be used at a time... MME was different... but for SAC... low latency is a must... and you are pretty much forced to use Asio drivers.

So... that is what is nice about the RME and MOTU products... you can get the channel count you need with one driver.

Bob L

Thanks for the reply, Bob. I think I'm going to have to use Shorted T-R insert cables or direct outs, and run them to a regular SAC system with interfaces then. Too bad this mixer didn't have assignable outs on its firewire interface... Oh well!

Bob

4. Default Re: Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 with SAC?

I have a 16.4.2, and I tried using it with SAC. Each input has a selector to choose if the signal is coming from the desk or from FireWire. This was how I routed signals back into the device for monitors, but it limited my input count. You can route FireWire into the CR or Main busses too. So I had 14 ch routing to PC over firewire, then 2 ch mon routing PC to desk back over firewire, then routed on the desk to the physical aux sends I wanted to use. Since this was my first foray into SAC, I didn't really know how to get the latency down. I have an old 9636/52 and ADA8000 that I am meaning to work with in the future.

Regarding inputs, you can actually daisy chain additional FireStudio products to the StudioLive to get more recording/SAC channels into your PC. You just can't route them to be an additional bank of channels on your StudioLive (which would be way cool if possible).

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I really can't afford to lose input channels just to get monitor outputs.

Do you recall what the latency was? Was it long enough to be audible?

Bob

6. Default Re: Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 with SAC?

I like my StudioLive, and I like SAC, but I really don't see the point of using them together. Seems like if you're trying to get a feed off of someone's StudioLive would be to take direct out fantails and go into a MOTU 24i or 2408. The SL just wasn't designed to be a 16x8 front-end for SAC.