Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT:SNOW...

Default OT:SNOW...

No sessions today or maybe for the next week.
    Record snow here in Baltimore.
    It's been snowing for 25 hrs - and they are saying it will keep snowing for another 4 or 5 hrs.
    5 foot drifts in the front yard.
    More snow Tuesday night into Wednesday...
    So far 30 inches.
    61 inches so far this winter.
    We've had our top 3 biggest snow falls since 1999.
    This has been our coldest winter on record.
    So much for global warming...
    Al Gore should have to give some of his money back to the East coast states for snow removal...
    Stay warm!

Default Re: OT:SNOW...

You guys in the US seem to be getting all of our snow this year. It's sunny and clear blue skies here... cold yes, but there's almost no accumulation of snow.

What's weird is a little to the north of you in NYC we've just gotten a dusting here and seems not much more is really expected at this point. It's expected to get pretty darn cold (as if it hasn't been already) for the next few days though. I'm really wanting to take a trip to some place like Costa Rica at this point!

I think "global warming" is a misleading phrase and that "climate change" - where things just get plain ol' freaky with more extremes in both directions - is a lot better descriptor of what may (or may not) be going on.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Its Odd here in Colorado very little snow, some in the upper Rockies but zip down here.

Global Warming seems just to be a way for our Gov. to waste more of its tax payers money and time, to pad the pockets of congress's pet projects.
    AND another thing!!!!!!!

Got myself going again

You all have a nice cold day

Chris
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

We've already had 3 or 4 reasonably heavy (for here) snows this winter, we usually get no more than a dusting every other year or so. Unfortunately, it's always immediately succeeded by sleet and rain, so it's a mess.

Yep, hottest decade on record.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evans View Post
    We've already had 3 or 4 reasonably heavy (for here) snows this winter, we usually get no more than a dusting every other year or so. Unfortunately, it's always immediately succeeded by sleet and rain, so it's a mess.

Yep, hottest decade on record.
    Tippen a few cool ones on the porch wearing da shades, in this sweltering scorcher are ya?
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

I love when the south gets hit with snow. They all act like it's the apocalypse or something.

I guess I'm close enough to Canada, because I've had the guy over to plow my drive far less than usual this season.

Maybe Ohio could/should make up some of state budget deficits by renting our snow trucks to our southern neighbors.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I love when the south gets hit with snow. They all act like it's the apocalypse or something.
    You just don't understand. The people down here cant' even drive in rain, much less snow and slush. They called off schools here for four days or so on the last storm which laid about 4-6 inches across the county. All the roads were dry as a bone by day 4, but because it was still melting and supposed to freeze that night, they were afraid of black ice. That decision was made at 5pm the day before, and the low was 34 overnight... kids are going to be making it up on Saturdays too.

Of course, they did get sued about 3 years ago when they didn't call off a day like that and somebody got killed in a car wreck coming to school...

Welcome to the great state of North Carolina, where we tax you to death, lie about the illegally obtained lottery, and can't figure out whether we're a red or blue state in the meantime. It's a great life!
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evans View Post
    You just don't understand. The people down here cant' even drive in rain, much less snow and slush. They called off schools here for four days or so on the last storm which laid about 4-6 inches across the county. All the roads were dry as a bone by day 4, but because it was still melting and supposed to freeze that night, they were afraid of black ice. That decision was made at 5pm the day before, and the low was 34 overnight... kids are going to be making it up on Saturdays too.

Of course, they did get sued about 3 years ago when they didn't call off a day like that and somebody got killed in a car wreck coming to school...

Welcome to the great state of North Carolina, where we tax you to death, lie about the illegally obtained lottery, and can't figure out whether we're a red or blue state in the meantime. It's a great life!
    Brent,

I understand, I was just messing with you guys.

It's all about bing prepared to deal with the snow, like Frank Farrel makes a living being prepared for the unexpected.

Since there is normally no snow, you guys probably have like 1 snow plow in the entire state and no salt to spread on the roads to speak of.

I do remember the first time I was working in Evansville IN that it snowed. (a place I work at at least once a year, but I'm normally not there when it might snow) I start driving just as would around home... get to the first intersection, just tap the brakes and poof, I just floated on through the intersection like I hadn't even tried to stop. LOL. Luckily for me there was no one there so it wasn't a huge deal. Lesson learned!

When I got to the theatre I asked "don't you Hoosiers know about rock salt?"... they were like... salt... hell we only have like 3 snow plows..

Compare that to one time when I was driving through up state NY during the winter and I saw a truck that could literally plow the entire 2 lane highway in a single pass, it had these two extra blades on the side of the truck that swept down in addition to the main front blade. That thing could clear some serious snow... it was awesome to watch.. and even better to follow behind by a hundred yards or so.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

cant' even drive in rain, much less snow and slush
    'Tis true. When I lived in Louisville many years ago there were designated snow routes, much like the hurricane evacuation routes in the coastal south. I saw snow removal on I-65 south of Louisville with a road grader.

I passed through Nashville returning from the mid-west to Florida before I-24 was complete through town. There was a little snow. I passed locals stuck on small hills, and even stopped and continued up the hill all with Florida street tires.

Much of the south has no snow removal or sand/salt trucks in inventory. People see snow so infrequently that they never learn to drive on snow.