Close

Default SignalSwitch in SAC/SAW setup

Have just done a very enjoyable choral recording session with SAW fronted by SAC for live control room monitoring.

However, when the conductor asked for talkback, the only thing I could do immediately was connect a mic to a spare snake core and put it into an instrument amp in the recording area, which wasn't ideal. So I promised myself I'd get to grips with the SignalSwitch plugin when the session was over.

After a bit of experimentation, it looks like I'm best off patching it into SAC. I couldn't get it working in SAW in the linked configuration. However, a problem remains: It is good to be able to talk with the conductor while playing various takes back. But although the SignalSwitch control widget can be set to stay "in front of all applications", as soon as it is pressed, it forces its host (SAC in this case) to the front. That is a bit disruptive if I'm busy plodding around in the SAW timeline to find playback points for the conductor.

I know I could leave SignalSwitch locked on, but there's a lot of background noise in the Control Room, so I'd prefer only to use it momentarily if at all possible. It would also help if I had the luxury of 2 monitors - one for SAC and one for SAW - but I'm trying to minimise the amount of gear I have to carry.

Could there be an option in which the SignalSwitch widget sits on top of all windows, but does not attempt to restore its host window when pressed? I suspect that this may be a limitation of Windows GUI functionality, but I'll ask the question anyway!

Also, while playing with SignalSwitch, I notice that the link indicator on the SAC channel strip Fx button sometimes seems to be present when there is not an Fx plugin patched (or at least none listed). Curious. Any ideas?

Finally, while on the subject of SAC, but not related to the above, how do I know which scene is current, as it need not be the highlighted one in the Scenes menu as far as I can tell.
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Default Re: SignalSwitch in SAC/SAW setup

The signal switch should float comfortably over SAWStudio without forcing SAC ontop... I use it this way every day.

Make sure you are using the latest versions of everything.

Patch it into SAC... set it to float... this minimizes SAC to the taskbar... now restore SAWStudio (which should already be running and linked) from the taskbar... now the signal switch should be sitting on top of SAWStudio and you should be able to press the switch without loosing SAWStudio... but... you will need to click back to a SAWStudio window to regain focus and excercise its commands.

It actually works pretty seamlessly.

Once this is setup... you can now use the link to switch back and forth between SAC and SS.

The SAC channel that has the signal switch plugin patched should display an FX patch bar.

Bob L

Bob,

Does it matter if the Signal Switch is patched post or pre?
    Douglas Grimm
    FOH/MON Engineer

I generally patch it pre... then you can use pre fader monitor taps for independent level control to each monitor mixer.

Bob L

Just to close the loop - I have just updated SAW and SAC versions and SignalSwitch is properly sitting on top of everything. Panic over!
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK