Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need to figure out some SAC system basics

Hi Everyone,

Back after a lovely night of car work. I guess it beats a horse - the post-ride rubdown is optional.

Thanks for the info on the step-down. Bummer that the power supply is underdesigned.

Our current cabling plan would be to have the ada's and main console up in the booth since all of our fixed audio cable already terminates there. This could be a problem (from the remote standpoint) if they are very sensitive to changes in input level. We have a couple that used to sing professionally, that can really drive the wireless handhelds, all the way down to my daughters and their friend, who come across very subdued: easily a 15db separation.

We have a p4 2.9Ghz HP available. Is this likely to be underpowered? The last thing we want is to get started off on the wrong foot by scrimping on the console PC and have everyone get a bad taste in their mouth for the new system.

thx,
    k

2. Default Re: Need to figure out some SAC system basics

The wireless handhelds should have a sensitivity option on them that you should be able to adjust based on who's using them. There's also 20db of digital gain available in SAC, so if you calibrated those vocal inputs for the powerful singers, you'd be able to up the gain for others.

How many inputs and mixes are you looking to run? That will determine if your p4 will cut the mustard.

A SAC specific built PC based on an E8x00 processor would be better for sure.

We're planning for 32 channels but wont be using more than 24 initially. Initially, there will be 3 mixes.

And I'd rather go with the E8x00, than risk poor performance - esp. since the plan is to go with a remote.

k

An E8400 or E8500 is a good plan. Build a machine that is a couple of notches better than you think you need now because once you start using SAC and get used to it you will find more and more things to do with it and will need the power.

Right now I'm looking at replacing all the speaker processing EQ and Delays in my system with SAC channels... I'll end up using every output channel (24) that I have on the ADAs and 4 sets of mixers with eq and delay on each of the 8 outputs to accomplish this. At this point I'm wishing I had another ADA8000 but will make do. At least I should have enough CPU power.

Also, a dedicated SAC PC is essential IMHO because it cleans up lots of potential problems to fine tune the system and remove all un-necessary windows services and components. You want your PC to be as streamlined as possible.

The remote PC/Laptop is no where near as critical and can be something that's even used elsewhere (I use my company laptop when I need to do a remote connection).
    Tom ~
    ---------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P; Intel E8500 3.16Ghz; 4Mb Corsair Dominator; 160gb WD Sata; Powercolor PCS AX4670 Video; RMERaydat; 3xADA8000; 4u Dynapower Case
    40 Chnl with Dyn & EQ = 17-18% CPU

5. Default Re: Need to figure out some SAC system basics

Keith,
    While the RME stuff is top notch there are some alternatives. Many of us are using the MOTU 2408s. Many are available on Ebay in really good condition and at very good prices. For my system as an example I bought 2 2408 MK3 s with the 424 interface card for less than the price of a RAYDAT card. What that bought me was 16 channels of built in AD/DA converstion and the ability to connect 4 ADA8Ks. It also bought me 16 TRS 1/4" outputs which the ADA8Ks don't have AND an external metering point (on the front panels of the 2408s). So for the price of a RAYDAT and 4 ADA8Ks I have 48 channels vs. 32 AND the ability to easily add another 24 for just the price of another 2408 and the ADA8Ks.

As for other possibilities there are some firewire interfaces that allow upwards of 24 channels in combination with the ADA8Ks. Both M-Audio and MOTU have units that will work, it is imperative though that you have a firewire interface that works (and some of them don't, especially some of the built ins on motherboards).

As for FOH remote setups there are a few things to consider. In building my system I decided that total redundancy was of utmost importance to me. I have two totally separate systems that only share the outputs of the ADA8Ks (and I have one spare of those). Since there are sound sources that we use in our services (canned music on CD, inputs from another computer that does our video presentation... sometimes we play videos as part of presentations and the pastors sermon) we have to have a method of connecting those to the system. To accomplish this I have a full system at the FOH position and on stage. Outputs from the ADA8Ks go to an ADAT extender which pushes the digital to the FOH mixing position AND to the stage system. The stage system can remote into the FOH computer to allow people on stage to control their own monitors during practice sessions. During the service the monitors are controlled from FOH. IF the FOH computer or it's interfaces goes down (not readily repairable for whatever reason) I can flip two switches and have my keyboard, mouse and monitors plugged into the stage system. It takes less than 15 seconds to recover from almost anything but losing an ADA8K. That takes about a minute to move all the I/O and move the optical cables. Doing redundancy added about 3 grand to our project but I have a much easier feeling every time it's running. Having the monitor mixes controlled by the talent during practice cuts down on the "herding cats syndrome" and reduces much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The point being there are many ways to skin the cat with SAC, continue to do your homework and get many differing points of view and advice. There are some pretty smart cookies in here.