Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Motu 2408 mkII - Problems

I am having some really frustrating problems with a motu 324 and 2408 mkII I picked up.

Basically the 324 installs fine but when I connect the 2408 it does not get recognized and I am unable to select any thing in the motu control panel.

Has anyone come across this?

2. Default Re: Motu 2408 mkII - Problems

Some newer motherboards will not work with the 324 card. It requires 5 volts and the curent spec for pci slots is 3.3 volts.

Default Re: Motu 2408 mkII - Problems

additionally at least one member here got no love at all from the current PCI-324 driver on the MOTU site, but was fully functional with the legacy driver I found hanging around in my drivers collection...
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

4. Default Re: Motu 2408 mkII - Problems

Do u know if there are issues with the 424? This is a new motherboard. I bought it past week.

I thought if the notch was in the back of the card then the slot is 5v and 3.3v if the notch is towards the front (where the interface is).

You might also want to try some more basic things, like making sure the firewire cable is fully functional. I ran into that as well.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

6. Default Re: Motu 2408 mkII - Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Rfcox2000 View Post
    Do u know if there are issues with the 424? This is a new motherboard. I bought it past week.

I thought if the notch was in the back of the card then the slot is 5v and 3.3v if the notch is towards the front (where the interface is).
    Correct.

there are 3 varieties of 424 card: original 424 (5v), 424x (3.3v), and 424e(pciexpress)

all of the 424 drivers have worked fine for me (older, latest, 32bit, 64 bit) but the latest 324 driver is crap, it works for some people as an update install to a working 324 system but just doesn't work as a fresh install...come to think of if the latest 424 drivers are that way too I wouldn't know 'cuz I updated to it from a working 424 install, hrmm....

oh well, regardless I'm happy to email the last generation drivers to anyone who wants to give them a shot...at least they install & work
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

8. Default Re: Motu 2408 mkII - Problems

So many options. Now I can't decide if I should by a 424 or the rme 9632 for about the same cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rfcox2000 View Post
    So many options. Now I can't decide if I should by a 424 or the rme 9632 for about the same cost.
    Personally, I'd by the RME card. Motu makes some decent gear, but they don't have a very good reputation for after-sale support.

The RME drivers are well maintained, low-latency and stable.

pg

10. Default Re: Motu 2408 mkII - Problems

Since you already have a 2408II picking up a 424 card on ebay could work easily. You can normally get one with a 2408 III for less than 450 bucks. I like the Motu gear and the way it works. I have a setup with an HP XW8200 workstation that uses the 324 card. I paid 175 bucks shipped for the computer and it has good graphics with dual video outputs, 2 72 gb scsi drives, 2 gig ram, a XEON processor at 3.2 gig and with 24 channels running with a fair amount of plugins the CPU is running about 36%. Having the latest and greatest Intel dual core processor means very little with SAC since it's SINGLE processor. One day that may change but not today. That means you can buy older technology that cost a heap of money back when for next to nothing today to run SAC.