Close

Thread: Back on Line

Smile Back on Line

Have not posted this problem, but I had another show stopping failure last Jan resulting in audio repeating over and over then moving on. The repeats where not recorded with SAWlite leaving missing music in recording. I am convinced my 2nd failure in 36 gigs is PC hardware and not RML software. Private emails with Bob L. lead to following drastic measures.

1. PC assembler (rackmountpro.com) agreed to ship replacement FoxFire mobo, two SATA HDD, Sparkle power supply, and riser card as warranty replacement. Kept DVD, 2U rack, E8500 cpu and memory sticks. Installed new parts and could not get boot up.

2. Shipped PC to RackMountPro. Their lab got everything working. Kept two original SATA HDD with Win XPsp3, SAC, SAWlite, and WaveLab 6 intact.

3. Ran 24ch of iPod continous through SAC to SAWlite for 8 hours. No hickups or dropped buffers. (which is amazing).

4. Then WaveLab 6 would not recognize it's security dongle. Took PC to my local Data Doctor (who have worked on my other computers with great success. They found a virus (machine has never been internet connected) and some windows settings that were messing USB ports.

5. With all working, used SAC and SAWlite for a 24ch, 4 band, outdoor tent job on Mar 17th with perfect results.

6. Have learned you just can't trust computers. Am moving forward with high hopes with new MoBo and new power supply. If any thing happens again, I will switch to ASUS MoBo at Data Doctors.
    David www.DavidGlassSoundServices.com
    SAC/SAW System: I3 cpu, Intel SSD for Software & WD3200 300gb for Data, RME HDSP9652, 3 ADA8000, optical drive, dual 20" displays, AmpedWireless HiPwr router, Shure wireless talkback mic, SAC, SAWlite, Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, Levelizer, WaveLab, WinAmp.
    Remote: Lenovo 16" notebook, 20" 2nd display, BCF 8 channel Fader pack.

2. Default Re: Back on Line

Glad to hear you're getting sorted out.

With regards to your PC having a virus but never being connected to the internet - if you've been transferring any software to it via USB keys, then it's quite possible that one of those keys has a virus and you should scan them.

Default Re: Back on Line

I think you are correct. I use a WD USB hard drive for download through my Internet pc. Then copy down load to audio pc. This hard drive had some back files from my daughters notebook that had a virus cleaned by webroot.
    David www.DavidGlassSoundServices.com
    SAC/SAW System: I3 cpu, Intel SSD for Software & WD3200 300gb for Data, RME HDSP9652, 3 ADA8000, optical drive, dual 20" displays, AmpedWireless HiPwr router, Shure wireless talkback mic, SAC, SAWlite, Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, Levelizer, WaveLab, WinAmp.
    Remote: Lenovo 16" notebook, 20" 2nd display, BCF 8 channel Fader pack.